so there is no proof that prayers work...

... is there proof that prayers don't work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends on what do you mean by prayer and what do you mean by "work". If you go to bed thinking "Please God give me a red cadillac", it will probably not work. But if you think "please God give me the strength and health to work and let me be wise to save my money so that one day I might purchase a cadillac if I still need it and want it" - this might work.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i wish it would work now and get me a job! I agree with you though:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i wish it would work now and get me a job

Here is the prayer I would use for that: Please God give me enough speed on my computer to be able to browse through as many jobs postings as I can when my kids are sleeping, please don't let me run out of my cell phone minutes because I can't afford to pay 40 cents per minute for overage, please give me courage to face my potential employers and show them that I am a confident and knowledgeable person that they can rely on and please keep my faith in the fact that hope is the last to die.

cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 12:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• if they do for you, it is only because you believe it will. Religion is based in belief and circumstance, if you do not believe in it, it is not so. This is why religion was created, people need something to believe in (it is a basic need which is often overlooked).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Just for the record, I don't have any religion. I believe in many things, mainly in the forces of the universe that can be mobilized in your interest and well being just by using your thoughts.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 1:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Prayer DOES work!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• of coarse prayer works. but the existence of God is irrelevant. the fact is, if many people come together and put their minds together, focused on the same thing, "miracles" can, and most likely will, happen. the mind has power we are yet to unlock and prove with science. i did read a study once that involved two containers with equal amounts of bacteria. a group of people from various religions were asked to "pray" that the bacteria in one container would not multiply. they had no knowledge of the other container. at the end of the study, the container that was not "prayed" for grew 50% more bacteria than the other. draw your own conclusion :)

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• There are dozens of cafemoms praying for me to find Jesus.  That should be proof enough that prayer doesn't work.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:34 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• prayer can work in ways we cannot understand. because God knows what is best for us, so our prayers might be answered but not in the way we thought they would
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:22 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Prayer is just another way of putting positive energy out into the universe. What we put out, we get back. it is exercising the Divine within all of us!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2010