can I rent a car for my daughter to take her drivers test in

The car that I have has a massive crack in the windshield and the rear view mirror is smashed. My husband tried to remove the mirror and cracked the wind sheild in the process...now I'm just thinking the DMV won't allow for it to be driven for a test. So I was going to just rent one

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• doubt the rental place would allow for an unlicensed driver to drive it - even just for a test

I would call a driving school and ask if you could pay them to use their car (with them accompanying her and you to the test location) for that. (I took driving lessons and took my test using the driving school's car.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• ohhh forgot to add she is 17...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• in some states you have to be 25 to drive a rental. thats all it really comes down too. just call and ask the place you want to rent from.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Most rental companies will not allow a driver younger than 25, Ran into this problem when I was 24, married and had a child and REALLY needed a rental at an airport. Does anyone in your family have a car you can borrow? Or as PP said ask a driving school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• driving schools rent cars for tests.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 7:18 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Not in GA. You will have to borrow one from a family member or friend because you have to prove that you have insurance on that particular car.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I know in my state you can use a rental if it meets the requirements, basically the only thing you need to worry about it that the parking brake is accessible to the tester i.e. a hand brake rather than a foot pedal. It is however very difficult to find a rental company willing to rent you one since you need to tell the rental company that it's for a driving test and have them print a letter for the RMV saying that it's approved. Better to just get a car from a driving school. I did my test last year and they charged $60 for a lesson followed by the test. Basically drove around for 40 minutes then stopped at the RMV, went in with the instructor, and then headed out for the test together. It's also better for the student to have an instructor in the car rather than a nervous parent, makes them more relaxed and confident.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Will someone ( family / close friend ) let you borrow their car or meet you up there?
    youngmom33

Answer by youngmom33 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• we don't know of anybody that has a small car..everyone has SUV's and they are to much for her to handle
    Anonymous

• your not supposed to give the rental people all that info rent the car for the day and HANDLE your BUSSINESS!
    Caramel824

Answer by Caramel824 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2010