2 1/2 year old won't poop in the potty.

Hi, I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who is potty trained except she won't poop in the potty. She tries and can't and then cries and says it hurts and asks for a diaper. I try to just not put a diaper on her, but she will hold it forever and get constipated. Kind of a graphic topic..sorry to the squeamish folks. I really want to know if people have experiences where kids just come around and start doing it, or if it takes me really working to get her to do it. I'd love to hear other's experiences of how they over came this,

mandelion8

Asked by mandelion8 at 2:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 3 1/2 YO son has been doing the same thing. I have tried everything from being patient (because people said he "wasnt ready"), rewarding him, not letting him do special things because he wont poop at all to jsut plain ignoring his behavior. I have been dealing with this for about a year now and have tried al of these things, not in that order, and none have worked so far. I am at a loss right there with you honey, I dont know what the heck to do. If you get some good advice could you please pass it along to me? Thank would be awesome!! GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Getting herself constipated could cause her to hold it more and can cause some other really bad problems. So for now, don't push it. As long as she tries that's good but if she hurts then let her do what works for her for now. Does she have a potty chair or are you using the adult toilet?
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My DD resisted using the potty for the longest time. Peeing or pooping! We tried forever it seemed. Finally she just ended up doing it. It took longer to get her to poop and my son was the same about pooping in the potty too. I wouldn't worry too much just as long as she doesn't hold it in for too many days in a row. That could get bad! Try some incentives, maybe it might help. I would just give her some time. She will come around. (My daughter was over 3 before she would do anything in the potty!)
    Juliets1

Answer by Juliets1 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2010