Don't you love to sleep in when u can? (what do u do w/the kids once u up)?

Sometimes my kids sleep in like 8,9 or 10 depends what they did the day before. I'd like to know what do you mom's do with your kids once they get up besides fixing them breakfast.
Today was a lazy day for me my dh had to work tonight and when he left me n the kids watched tv then they played on their wii while I got on the computer my kids wanted me to join them or watch them they were eating upset bc I was on the comp. I just need to know or get some ideas on what to do with my babies there r times they go in r room n wake me up I get up but what then I don't want them to think of me as a boring mom. I'd like to do something with them all day everyday if possible :) Thanks Ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Damn, you really want to do something with your kids "all day everyday "? Wow, that's A LOT of kid time. I won't do that, I want my children to have the ability to entertain themselves sometimes. all day every day is a foreign concept to me, most moms ask about the opposite.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with first poster. My daughter is 5 and she coulld always entertain herself. When she wakes up and I'm still asleep she quietly goes downstairs and watches tv or plays in the playroom. She knows it's a rule. We have to be quiet when someone in the house is asleep. I love playing with my daughter but we all need some time to ourselves too and I think we HAVE to teach our kids that they have to entertain themselves sometimes. And it's easier for you OP because your kids can play with each other.

Of course now I have a baby so that has changed a little.. I'm NEVER asleep when my 5yo wakes up lol!
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Most of my 7yr old's day is spent entertaining himself or hanging out with his little brother. But he does like to do stuff with me as well... We do all sorts of things together: read, play with legos, put on pretend plays, play in the sprinkler when it's really hot out, watch tv, draw pictures together, color, etc.... Sometimes he will ask me if I want to watch him do this or that and I usually say absolutely and do it. When he wants to spend time with me, I'm absolutely ok with that because I know that it won't always be that way. Someday he will grow out of thinking that I'm awesome. When he does, I want him to be able to look back and have memories of me being available to spend time with him instead of memories of me being too busy to hang out and play.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We have a 3.5 year old and we are trying to get her to entertain herself again. She USED to be able to sit in her room for HOURS playing by herself but once her baby sister came she stopped and refuses to be by herself now.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My kids aren't "babies" any more. They are 4, 7, 8 and almost 10. they get themselves up in the morning (whenever they want) and get their own breakfast and have for years. Ever since the oldest was about 5 or 6 and could help the younger ones pour cereal and milk. By the time I get up they have already eaten and are usually watching TV or playing in their rooms with each other.
    I usually get up and have my breakfast and watch TV or play on the computer until I'm actually awake and feel like getting my day started. By then my kids are outside playing.
    I don't spend all day any day entertaining them. It's not my job. They entertain themselves. I just woke up and right now my 4yo is coloring in her room and the 3 older kids are screwing around in their room upstairs. I'm sure they've been up for a couple of hours already.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Um...I play with them, read with them, read to them, have them read to me, teach them simple math problems, teach them to speak Spanish, teach them to cook, show them how to balance a checkbook, demonstrate the correct way to fold laundry, show them how to change the vacuum cleaner bag, let them help me scrub the kitchen floor, take them for a nice woodsy walk, supervise while they play in the yard, teach them how to play the violin, spend some time making tie-dye...Are you starting to get the picture here? You have to actually think and be creative when it comes to spending time with your kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jun. 8, 2010