What are some good ways to help 2 y.o. adjust to a new baby?

We have a two year old son (25mos) and are expecting our second baby any day now. I'll be nursing and the baby has a bassinet in our room but we don't plan on co-sleeping. Any tips on how to help big brother adjust would be appreciated!

bltcahill

Asked by bltcahill at 6:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Help Siblings Adjust to a New Baby - FamilyEducation.com
    How to help your young child adjust to their new baby brother or sister. ... 2. Answer any questions your child has as honestly as possible -- and then wait ...
    life.familyeducation.com/rivalry/siblings/36129.html
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Books are good. Franklin's baby sister, the Berenstain bears have a baby book, Herry Monster (sesame street), Grover takes care of baby...

Let your 2year old paint or draw something to frame and put up in baby's room. My son used to have me help him swaddle/ wrap his puppy doll when he became a big brother. He was excited (she was like a toy to him LOL), we talked about it a lot, and when i finally put up the baby swing and co-sleeper, I let him play with them with his puppy doll...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• yes books and videos theres lots of them on franklin and berenstain bears or just talking to them
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My daughters not 2 yet but she is 18 mos. & I just had a baby 2 wks ago. We started teaching her about the new baby when we found out. We would tell her be careful cause mommy had a baby in her belly she picked up on that pretty quick. We showed her other peoples babies so that she new what a baby was. She started playing with baby dolls & we would tell her she had to be nice to the baby that way she knew how to treat the real baby. At first she was scared & didnt want anything to do with the baby, my husband or me but once she warmed up she wanted to hold the baby. She holds her little sister all of the time & she can be very protective already. We do have some occasional jealousy issues thats when i send her to her daddy for attention or give the new baby to him so I can hold/play with her.

acoster

Answer by acoster at 5:49 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• okay my daughter was 2yrs and 2 months when my son cayden was born this past march and when i first brought him home i showed her baby and at first shes was like 'what the heck?' but then right after she started kissing on him and saying baby and then she started call him her baby doll my advise is just let him help you with the baby like going and getting the diaper and maybe helping throwing it away my daughter loved do that and also let him hold him with your help and tell him that the baby is his because my daughter still doesn't understand brother but she knows that he is her baby and she loves him!!!
    katesmom101

Answer by katesmom101 at 8:11 PM on Jun. 28, 2008