parenting boys and girls

do you treat your boys different to your girls? Have the same rules for dating? going out? homework? My DH is fine with his DS going out with his mates, but his precious little girls are on very strict curfews and so many rules they don't even bother most of the time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My children are treated equally.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have both a boy and a girl. There are 15 months between them, and they're 17 and 16 yrs old. NO - there have never been different rules for gender (except for things like yes, son, you can walk down the beach without a shirt on sorts of things...) Now, there have been times there have been different rules for them based on other things - ds is 15 mos older, so there were things he was able to do 15 mos sooner than dd. Also, there are times that one has been allowed to do something that the other couldn't do, based on individual behavior.

But to say one has a later curfew or different homework rules or anything like that because of gender. Honestly, to do that, you're setting yourself up for your boys to not respect girls, and for your girls to rebel the first chance they get (or walk out at 18, and never listen to you again).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Your daughters will resent it if they are treated differently and they will rebel; all they're learning by being treated differently is that they can't be trusted and so they may get involved in risky behavior that will prove your husband right. I grew up in an Italian family where boys were held up on a pedestal and allowed to do anything while the girls were kept on a very tight leash.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I treat my boy like a boy and I treat my girl like a girl. However, for gender neutral things like homework (and they're way too young to date, so that's not an issue) they are treated the same.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:35 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Mine are still young, but as they get older, they will all be on a strict regiment! My son and daughters will have to tell me where they are going and have a certain time to be home, not fair to treat one differently than the other!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• For the most part they are treated the same, but they are different sex's and sometimes I use more caution with my girls just because women tend to be victimized more often than men.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010