Roxy still chews shoes, sandels and flip flops only. How can I get her to quit?

RedHedMom39

Asked by RedHedMom39 at 7:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Pets

• Well give Roxy other things to chew on. Is she crated? Everytime I put my puppy in the crate I give her something new to chew on. She loves the huge bone I got at tractor supply, the nyblene bones from Walmart they smell yummy (not to me) and are a nice plastic for chewing, I also let her pick up sticks in the yard she seems to love those too.
    I would keep a nice supply of things for her to work her puppy teeth on. It seems to work with my new little girl. Good luck and btw put the shoes in a closet or up on top of the washing machine. I know a little too late. Heaven forbid don't give her an old shoe to chew on then she will get the idea that any thing that smells like feet is fair game.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 8:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Rub cayenne on the items she chews. She'll stop.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• "Rub cayenne on the items she chews. She'll stop."

Yeah, that's genius. Until someone in her house goes to put on their shoes and accidently rubs their eyes, nose or mouth without washing their hands first.

Crate training, chew toys, and exercise all together should help.
    Anonymous

• You can try that bitter apple spray they make for keeping dogs from chewing.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Is she getting enough exercise? Excessive chewing tends to be a sign of boredom/not enough exercise.

Give her appropriate things to chew on. My dog loves antlers (available at some pet stores) and marrow bones.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:52 AM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I agree with all these posts and I'd also like to add have you tried moving the items from their usual spots? I had a dog who chewed on certain things and when I moved them he stopped chewing on them - one of these things was the toilet paper holder, it was wood and screwed into the sink cabinet and he would chew on it but when I moved it from the cabinet to the wall he left it alone.
    Anonymous

• How old is she? Is she getting enough exercise and mental stimulation? Keep the shoes in a closet or a room she can't get into. Make sure she has a lot of her own chew toys. If you catch her chewing on something she shouldn't, tell her no and replace with something she can chew on. Make sure she gets lots of walks and exercise to keep her mind active and of course of attention from you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Jun. 14, 2010