Why would anyone?

Not agree that the Bible IS open to individual interpretation? With all the differences in people and beliefs? how can anyone be so closed minded as to think their way is the only way for others too? Why do some keep insisting that they are right and others are wrong? Having faith is commendable but expecting others to do the same and condeming if they don't is just wrong.

Asked by older at 8:37 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • because for most people they feel threatened in thier faith when presented with other options, humans are scared of what they dont know or what they dont understand. and mainly they are sheep. Faith for most people simply does not leave a crack in the door open to the possability that other beliefs are just as valid as thiers.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• well, i really don't underdstand what you're asking! The bible is a book of parables! But you can't go and twist things to make them how you want them! For instance, abortion is NOT okay no matter how you think you interperate it, same with same sex relationships, etc. That just seems like an excuse to do what you want!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i couldn't possibly begin to understand... no answers here
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• http://www.cafemom.com/answers/426792/For_those_who_think_that_there_is_more_than_one_way_to_God_and_who_think_that_scripture_is_open_to_i?cat_id=&answer_added#answer_3788806
    Interestingly that question has been closed by the Cafemom team even though I cannot see any case of rules being broken

A really interesting starting point for your conversation- I don't know, I think with religion people really like to think they have chosen correctly. If they agree that an alternative is right, what does that mean about their own choice? Me personally, I am open to everyone and all beliefs, we are all a wonderful mixing pot and as long as we treat each other with love and respect, we can all learn from each other.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Because admitting that certain things can be interpreted different ways means that their beliefs aren't objective like they like to think they are. But that isn't my issue. My issue is that people use mistranslations in their interpretations and then get upset when someone uses a more accurate version.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:11 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Why do some keep insisting that they are right and others are wrong?

Because they are more interested in being right than they are in being a good follower of their religion. Ironic, since that's the sort of behavior their own book says is a no no.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I fully believe in one intepretation of the Bible. I believe Peter (our Rock) was left with protection from the Holy Spirit from guiding us away from God. He left us a leader and will protect our church. When you leave the bible open to many interpretation you have the wars we see so often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would like to add, when I hear an atheist, muslim or someone who does not believe the Bible (especially the new testament) is the infallible word of God try to give me their interpretation or tell me what my bible says I can or cannot do, I have usually shrug it off even if I agree with them. You cannot tell me what my bible says if you view it from an entire different angle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

What about those of us who don't put credibility to what man has written and translated numerous times, this is what the Bible is isn't it? yes, so some say it is the word of God, but how many times do human misinterpert a story passed down?

Answer by older at 9:30 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have usually shrug it off even if I agree with them

Thanks for proving my point - you will deny what you know the bible says in favor of "being right"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2010