switching from crib to toddler bed

i'm trying to switch my daughter from her crib to a toddler bed but she will not even sit on the toddler bed.what is the best way to make this transition? when i switched my little boy i didn't have any problems so this is new to me.any advice would me greatly appreciated.thanks.

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is there a reason you're switching, or is it just because you think she's "old enough" or this is when your son moved? I'm a big believer in not switching until there's a reason to switch. Most likely she feels comfortable in her crib, and unless they're climbing out, the AAP recommends keeping them in the crib till as close to 3 as possible. We didn't move our first until about 2.5, because we were moving and plus her little sister was over a year old and still sleeping in a pack n' play. The transition was super smooth... But that's just my experience. Kids are all so different. If it's possible to keep her in her crib, I'd do that. Then, when she can be excited about her "big girl bed" maybe she'll be ready to switch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i'm switching because i am potty training and it is a little hard for her to get up and go to the bathroom when she is in a crib.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• When I switched my eldest (now 3yr) she spent a lot of nights on the floor behind the door. I found that if I went in there 2-3 times and put her back in bed it was a wast of my time. Now she wasn't aloud to play, but if she was just laying behind the door then that is where she slept and after about a month she decided that she was more comfy in her bed. My 13mo is in a toddler bed now too, she gets up screams at me then I send her back to bed and she is good, she loves being able to get in and out of her bed.
    Raine2007

Answer by Raine2007 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i had my sons toddler bed set up in his room with his crib and let him play on it and get comfortable with it during the day and then one night he just wanted to sleep in it and i let him and he has not had any issues since then! GL
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 10:14 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My 21 month-old who is potty trained sleeps in a crib. She's too young to really do the potty thing all by herself, anyway, especially in the middle of the night, so she just calls to me, "mommy, potty..." and I come and take her. How old is your daughter?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:29 PM on Jun. 7, 2010