Does The US economy (crisis) has anything to do with women not being encouraged to become working mothers?

It seems that these days SAHMs depend too much on government help. If their husband makes not enough they find that getting government services is the best way to go instead of getting a job.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I will be a SAHM this summer with school being out, and there will be no summer school for us teachers due to budget cuts, and I will not rely on government assistance, with the bills I have, that little money they give won't put a dent in my monthly responsibilities. I will be working at Macy's part time, so for your FYI, not all single moms rely on this tiny bit of money a month. I thank God everyday for the money I have saved up in my account for rainy days, and this summer is going to be many rainy days for me. I also want to add that I'm so tired of people like you constantly putting people down on public assistance because MOST of them have to rely on it being with all the disasters that are going on in our world right now. The oil spill is a perfect example. Many fishermans cannot feed their families due to this oil spill. Yes, there are families out there abusing the system, but not all of them.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• No. How about you go try reading something about economics now?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• have* not has

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't think so. If those mothers went to work, the government would have to pay for the daycare. It's 200 a week here for an infant. At a minimum wage job that would be her entire pay check. So, what's the point?
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• wow what freaking planet are you on? we are on earth. i think you have this country confused or something.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• What about relating the crisis with the lack of jobs?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You must be joking. Not all SAHM's rely on government assistance. Daycare is expensive. For two kids where we live, it's a minimum of $800 a month. That is the cheapest price and the care is typically substandard at best. I'm not getting a job so I give three quarters of what I make to a daycare center that employs high school girls to take care of my children. We don't get government assistance, we do what adults do and sacrifice for ourselves but make sure our children get what they need. You're confusing SAHM's with moochers who lie and are lazy. The economy crisis is sure as hell not the fault of SAHM's. This happened because too many people were living above their means and buying houses, cars and other crap they could not afford. Try placing blame where blame is actually due.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I'm sick and tired of these passive-aggressive anti-SAHM threads! I don't get PA. We just do without things, we don't have a Wii. We go to the playground instead. Working Moms only work so that they can pass off the responsibility of raising their kids to someone else.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 10:09 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Working Moms only work so that they can pass off the responsibility of raising their kids to someone else.

Lovely generalization there.  I work.  Someone else does not "raise my child".  I call BS.  Honestly, you don't want to be called lazy for being a SAHM, guess what, I don't want generalizations like this because I work!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2010