The Gospel of Barnabas

I am starting to read it and wonder why this was not put in the bible? According to what I have read he was an apostle of Jesus and from what I have read, the Jewish belief was originally that there would two "messiahs" one that would be "king" like and the other a teacher basically. It is said that was what Jesus was. I also read that Judah was made to look like Jesus and that he was the one crucified. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The author of this book uses strong language to denounce the teaching of Paul in particular, especially regarding circumcision; the crucifixion, death and resurrection of Jesus; and the Christian belief that Jesus is the Son of God. The whole book abounds in discourses levelled against those things which the author particularly takes Paul to task for, and there can be no doubt that the author of this book is poles apart from Paul and his doctrine and is diametrically opposed to his preaching and teaching, so you totally understand why it was left out!

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:50 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I am still reading on it but that doesn't make sense to me
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Because in several instances over time 'men in power' decided what was best to be included and not included to best further their power and control. Original Propaganda & Censorship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• When the men who were picking and choosing which books to include all came together they literally had HUNDREDS of texts to consider. While some were excluded because they could not be proven to be legit, others simply didn't make it because they repeated what was already there, and there were also those which weren't included because they were seen as adding to many questions. I am not Christian, but I am a huge fan of some of these books. They are beautiful additions to the bible! But you won't find many who see them as carrying as much weight as those which were included - even if they do or should.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Sabrina...awesome explanation here. I am currently reading it now and I don't see anything truly bad in it "yet"
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 10:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If you haven't watched it yet, take an hour or so and make a point to watch Banned From The Bible. It may give you some answers about this text and others and why some were or weren't included over others...

Here is the first part and you can find the other parts through there...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3D28Ys-dp4

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Not all writings were God inspired gospels. There are many writings done purely by men, be they good or not, but they were not Holy Spirit inspired writings to be included in the Bible which is God's Holy Word, a collection of writings that were specifically inspired by God Himself.
    Anonymous

• Sabrina gave a good explanation... those who compiled the Bible had many gospels to choose from. They did not include all of them. Why and how they made their decision is subject to individual interpretation... I've heard everything from 'God made sure they only chose the right ones' to 'for personal gain the ones espousing a particular point of view were included and anything else was tossed out.'
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i havent read this one yet. this is the same Barnabas that traveled w/ Paul, right? i can see why it would have been left out if it is that Barnabas...he and Paul had a fight and parted ways. maybe the men who picked the Bible books figured Barnabas was just writing based off of anger at Paul. and since the majority of the NT are works of Paul, they didnt want to risk any conflicting messages. i mean Barnabas and Peter were in agreement on most things, Paul was against them both, and yet we have more Paul books in the NT while B & P's are consider "wrong" or "uninspired".
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• The books written by women or impowering women where all left out as well.
    Anonymous