• In the Spotlight:

I have a strange dilemma

I have an odd problem. A distant cousin gave me some books for my kids to use for our homeschool. Some are quite old and I asked if he was sure and he said yes. One is very old and very rare and signed by the author. I can only find one other copy of the book online to buy and it is going for $750.00 and that is not signed. (It is signed to a personal friend of the author who was a famous silent film star. Not just Joe Blow. BTW) Do I tell the cousin and see if he wants it back, sell it and keep the money because we are broke and this would be such a blessing, or sell it and give the cousin a percentage of the money? I am leaning toward the last option, but I want some opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Oooo that is a tough one!!
    He gave it to you, so it is yours to do with what you please. However, if you are going to sell it I would offer him a % of the sale. It just seems right.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 10:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well, he gave you the book already, right? Do you think he wasn't aware of it being signed?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• id tell the friend. and see what they want you to do.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If this person gave it to you it's your decision if you want to give it back or not. Personally I would sell it and split the money with them like chefronwife said.

Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 10:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• sell it and split the money. it was a gift and not a loan - therefore it is yours to do with what you please. i would tell him that you are selling it and will be giving him 50 % of the sale.
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 10:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It is signed on the first page, it's not like it's hidden or anything. It's nothing 5 minutes of research wouldn't turn up. That's how long it took me to find out how much it may be worth and who it was signed to. A fun FYI it is a book by the first makeup artist in Hollywood, Cecil Holland, it is signed to Florence Lawrence, with a forward by his good friend, Lon Chaney, it's pretty cool!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If you don't absolutely need the money now, put that book up! Especially if the author is still alive. When that auther dies that book price sometimes doubles. As to your cousin could he/she possibly have given you the book knowing how much it was worth and this was your cousins way of helping with out it being *charity* or something you have to pay back? My moto is though a gift is a gift once it changes hands it is mine to do with what ever i want.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We do need money! I am selling my jewelry at this point so that we can pay the bills. And no, the books were for us to learn from or pass on to people who could use them, he just wanted someone who would get some use out of them!
    The author is not alive anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Yeah, I agree with wildwiccan.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I think I am going to sell it and split the money!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2010