Arguing/Discussing??

Posted by Anon
beachmamaof2 i think you might have a nervous break down soon if you keep going lol, the other ladies have there own opinions too, just let them say what they want to say without arguing.

To Argue: is to quarrel or fight with others.
To Discuss: is the consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.

Why do you here on CM have such a hard time understanding the difference between the two?

In the topic that was closed (??) I was not angry; or having a tizzy; a fit; a nervous breakdown; or on my rag (thx for that mature assumption).

It is a topic I feel strongly about. Someone posted a question. Do I not have the right to carry on a discussion with those replying? So I'm at the moment bored at it happened to be the most interesting post going...that's a problem now?

If so just let me know because obviously I've missed the point of this section if it isn't for discussions of id

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think there are those here who confuse the two, on both sides, meaning there are those who argue and don't notice it and there are those who simply can't be part of a debate or discussion without feeling as if they are being attacked...

In this section it seems that people feel if someone doesn't agree with you, they are attacking you. Or if people reply to something you post with a comment they must be trying to start drama or stock you. And then there are those who are really out to attack and tear down anyone that doesn't fit in their mold of what is and isn't right.

So really it goes in all directions. Are you arguing or just discussing? Are you really being attacked or just replied to? I guess it all comes down to how someone sees the comments or how much drama they are looking for...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well that and plus when dealing w/ multiple Anons in one thread are you discussing various reply's or simply going back and forth with one person?

So what I get from it all is because there are multiple points in a post I'd like to address which given my longwindedness tends to multiple replies; that's perceived as arguing vs discussing my view vs their view?

Do so many really not see that in order to understand another's POV you must question how they arrived at it? At least that's how my brain works; guess it's not a 'good' thing here? Oh well.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• That's one more reason I just skip over the Anons most of the time. I figure if you can't come out from behind the Anon button, I can't be bothered to type a response...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Honey, you are assuming that everyone has logic and reasoning.  They do not! 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:26 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with beeky!

Answer by older at 11:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• rofl ladies
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Of course. Just like there is a difference between giving an opinion and preaching a sermon. Beeky is right! And she usually IS right!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't know what post you're talking about, so I'm not accusing you of anything, just so you know, I'm just sharing a thought: Sometimes on the internet, it is hard to read tone, so sometimes people will read into what someone says and think they are upset.
    Secondly, a lot has to do with the words people chose to use, if someone is using condescending words, someone might think they are angry, being bitchy or arguing.
    And, sometimes if you just disagree, people think you are arguing with them. You also have to know when you are just waisting your time with people.
    These are the problems with talking with people online.

.Eveningstar.

Answer by .Eveningstar. at 12:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I want to know why so many people use "Waisting time" when it s really "WASTING time". Waist is a part of the body ....you know, the part that usually has a belt around it....LOL. I see it all the time and I finally had to comment.
    But,,about the question. I think people need to allow for others to have an opinion without taking it so personally and replying with nasty words. Arguments start when some reply meanly.
    Anonymous

• Oops, I made a little mistake. We all do it from time to time.

eye rolling

.Eveningstar.

Answer by .Eveningstar. at 2:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010