For a mommy s helper what would you ask for the pay?

My daughter is going to start helping moms, so how much should she get paid? what is the going rate?

Bergen county, nj. I have never had a helper but her and she earns stuff for helping, and gets a little cash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depends how many kids and what other work she will be doing as a mom's helper. I think $10 an hour is a fair rate as a base rate.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:28 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• How old is your daughter and what type of help will she be providing? Is she just entertaining the kids while Mom is doing something?

I pay $10 per hour for a college aged babysitter who is 100% responsible for my children while I am not there. I would not pay that much for a child's help. I generally pay my older daughter $5 per hour when she watches her younger siblings while I am doing something at the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Wow, mommy helpers? What will they think of next? Back in the day we had family and friends. Now we pay strangers? I guess it's "progress".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I was a mommy's helper in jr high and high school. It didn't mean just watching the kids while mom was there. It was a combination nanny/housekeeper position. Sometimes I watched kids, sometimes I cleaned, sometimes I did yardwork, often more than 1 at the same time. I was a mommy's helper and did what needed doing around the house. I think that if she is doing chores and watching kids, an above minimum wage is fair.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• years ago being a college student off for the summer a mommys helper was a good summer job.back then we got paid by the week &i did whatever the job of the day was, stayed overnight 3 days a wee& had the 2 kids along with whatever i was doing at the same time.sometimes we all would go to the beach, mom along with her friends&their kids. i watched, fed&cared for all of the kids while the "moms" sunbathed! lol.it was a good days work for sure but i got some cash out of it&i was young,so it was ok for me.
    as for the going rate,i would ask around your area&make sure yr dd knows exactly what her duties r before she starts out.it should b more money for more kids&additional responsibility too.that is something i would hv made clear-that i was employed for that family &their kids-not anyone who was visiting for the day,everyday i was there,occasionally maybe.
    Get circumstances of job made clear&the exact pay is for those duties.GL
    emily1234

Answer by emily1234 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My 14 year old is a Red Cross certified baby sitter. She charges $8-10 an hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• damn, these kids get pd almost as much as me. i want to be a kid nowadays! Sorry, times are different.just a surprising number to me.. though i never heard of a mommy's helper!
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010