I need help

I no you may not see alot of post like this one... But I have had a problem with panic attacks since I was a little girl I am now 18 and have 2 wounderful children and a great hubby.... A long time ago I went to the er and was told I have panic attacks at the time I was to young for any meds so they just took me off all chocolate and stuff and that worked out.... but when I was like 13 or 14 I started back eating chocolate and stuff... Now my panic attacks have came back I have been to the er like 8 times becuz of all this when go to having one it feels like I cant breath that good and my chest hearts sometimes I think I have a heart problem and I dont no if this can be passed down to my kids or not me and my hubby both have them.... and does anyone else have these? and how do you feel? I am going to see a heart doctor today...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Health

• my friend actually gets panic attacks when she has caffine. Caffine is not only found in coffee, tea, and sodas, but chocolate as well. I would look into it..and if it's a matter of just cutting out cafffine. then that's better then having to be medicated!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I've had panic attacks most of my adult life and never has caffeine (in tea, coffee, soft drinks or otherwise) been attributed to them. It has caused heart palpitations but not the attack itself. My panic attacks are associated with a disorder. I'd talk with your family doctor or a mental health physician about them. The ER can't help really. I used to go thinking I was having a heart attack and dying. The ER doctor finally got pissed at me and I asked him how was I supposed to know the difference between a panic attack and a heart attack! I have since learned deep breathing exercises and for the most part steer clear of what I know will trigger the attacks.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My daughter has severe panic disorder. They tell you to avoid caffeine because it can cause your symptoms to feel like they are getting worse. It doesn't cause them though. There are medications you can take, I would also recommend counseling. There are techniques they will teach you to help you through the attack. She has met friends at college that also have that disorder and its also helpful to know you aren't alone. Wow 18 with two babies already. You must have some stress to deal with too. Just know there is help for you out there. Find a doctor that will refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist that has the knowledge to help you. You can learn to manage it. My daughter gets them so bad she will curl up into the fetal position and cry. It has caused her to have depression too. But now with the help she got, she has learned to manage them. Good Luck to you!
    Anonymous

• There is a wonderful book called No More Panic by Claire Weeks. Look for it at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010