Im not sure if it's dry skin or something worse?

My 10 month old occasionally gets red blotches all over his back and a little bit on his tummy and arms and legs. I took him to the doctor and he said it's just dry skin and plus us living in the desert makes it worse. So I put lotion on him 2 or 3 times a day and it really doesn't seem to help. I notice that when he's in the bath or the pool that's when it shows up more. I thought dry skin would be itchy and painful a little bit but this doesn't seem to bother him at all. Should I take him to a different doc or am I worrying for no reason?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds like an allergic reaction to something... That happened to my daughter and son when I gave them milk... Later found out they are allergic to milk...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:31 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Sounds like eczema to me. My son has very mild eczema, and his symptoms are exactly what you described. Red blotches that come and go, and are more noticable in the tub. Try rubbing Cetaphil Mosturizing CREAM, not the lotion, on him after every bath. It completely cleared my son's eczema within like 2 days. You can get it from Walgreens, its in a big tub like thing. Oh and the generic version doesn't work as well.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Ash 9724 is probably right,, sounds like eczema,, and some lotions can actually make it worse,, the cetaphil works good,, as well as Butt Paste,, good luck momma,, be sure to rinse him after the pool, chlorine can really make it flare up!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with using a cream over a lotion. Use it 2-3 times a day and it should clear it up. Give him a bath after pool time and use a "free" or baby detergent on his clothing. I would guess it is just dry skin. =) Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i thought eczema too. it is funny reading about it...some say sun makes it better, some say it makes it worse, same about swimming pools. i think it is a matter of finding what is troubling your baby for sure. i would try cutting dairy, changing lotions (i would try a single ingredient oil or lotion from a health food store) try changing laundry detergents. only make one change at a time. i think your baby may be too young for allergy testing, but honestly i am not sure. i would try less bathing, and using shea butter, coco butter, almond oil, apricot oil...something pure just use it often to keep the skin moist.
    i wish you the best of luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My daughter Peyton gets a rash on her stomach and face. Our doctor said she will grow out of it but he gave me some 2% hydrocortozon cream that works great and is safe to put on her face. I put it on her 1-2 times a day and it really helps. Ask your doctor for some and try it. Also try making baths short since warm water can make the skin dryer and make the rash worse.
    Peytonsmommy375

Answer by Peytonsmommy375 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with the Cetaphil. You can also try a humidifier in her room
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 10:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010