Anyone know details on Indiana law. In regards to divorce / child custody?

I have three kids ages 17, 14, 2 . I worry that if my husband tries to take off with the kids ( he will not take all three becuase he doesn't get along with the oldest at all, and the other two I think he only threatens to take them to get to my heart strings.) But if he takes off with any of the three how will this look on me? I am struggling trying to figure out what to do. I am scared and worried about the whole thing. I was going to call the cops last night and he unplugged the phone then threatened to take the 2 year old and never come back. He has never once ever changed a diaper for any of the three, so I think its just him trying to get to me but its working becuase I worry about it all the time. If I were to somehow find money to file do they also file something saying kids stay with me until things are figured out or what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• File with Legal Aid. I did and didn't pay a dime. Make sure you let the attorney know he threatened to take one of your children.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I'm pretty sure if you are still married, he can take any of the kids without your permission, and there's nothing you can do. If you file for divorce though, he is not allowed to take the kids without your permission, out of state at least, or its considered kidnapping. I would talk to a lawyer and see what they say. If he's threatening to take your child and never come back, that could be grounds for a restraining order until the divorce is final...and you can request full custody with supervised visitation only.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jun. 7, 2010