A reply to an abortion question got me thinking

Why do some pro-lifers make exceptions in certain cases? Why do some think that abortion is ok in rape or incest, but not if the mother can't afford a child, or her birth control failed? I'm not trying to be rude, just understand why some people who think abortion is murder justify it for certain reasons. Do those same people justify murder in other situations? Again, I'm not trying to be rude or nasty, I really do just want to understand. I am pro-choice, and I don't believe abortion in the first trimester is murder, so I really can't figure this out for myself.
**Please try and keep answers civil. Thank you**

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good question. I never understood that either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't get it either. Either it's murder or it's not.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I call it selectively rational.

Answer by older at 11:54 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i think it's like a "just in case this happens to me" type attitude. i'm pro choice too, and cant stand it when they say they are pro life...except for____. you either are or you are not!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I am pro-life and I believe the only exception is if the pregnancy wont be survived by the mother or baby... or both
    Anonymous

• I am Pro-Life and while I personally would never abort regardless of the circumstance, I would understand if someone wanted to abort if they were raped, because they didn't have a choice to engage in sex. I still believe you are killing a child though, but I believe this would be forgiven in the eyes of God because of the circumstance of which the child was conceived...all other forms of abortion, I don't believe God would forgive. I agree that sex is not just for procreation, but if you absolutely cannot afford a child, then maybe you shouldn't take the risk. Its like sky diving. Yeah you can do it for fun, but you better be prepared to get hurt or die if something goes wrong. If you can't afford either of those, then maybe you shouldn't go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Because cases like incest or rape were not a choice. The mother's choice was taken away from her by SOMEONE ELSE. It affects her and the baby physically as well as mentally/emotionally.
    Having sex and having her contraception not work is something that can happen to anyone because cantraception is NEVER 100% for sure. If you have sex...you run the risk of having a baby...contraception or not.
    If you don't have the money...then maybe you shouldn't be running that risk.
    Getting your tubes tied is another option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Most of the pro-lifers I know only believe in termination when the baby or the mother are in danger of dying,, I guess some may justify it as well I would if I got raped,, but not if I was just careless? IDK why so many people get so hot to trot about other people's choices,,,,,I don't think there is a human being that thinks abortion is fun,, and I think we have to respect WOMEN to make their own choices.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

• But really...how many cases do people get abortions because of rape or incest?.....I'd like to see the numbers of those who actually do get pregnant as a result of those circumstances...
    The other reasons are not in the best interest of the baby....they're in the best interest of the mother and what she wants.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is OK for a "mother" to abort if her BC failed or if she can't afford it because she CHOSE to have sex and EVERYONE knows where babies come from. Rape while I couldn't abort my child some people think it is ok because the woman didn't CHOOSE to have sex. I have no opinion on the incest.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010