Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PA question ..

My husband lost his job, until we are able to find new job/jobs we have to get on PA. I know about unemployment, food stamps, and the medical card...But i was wondering how much you actually get... is it enough to actually live on, do they go by how much you made or how much you need or does pretty much everyone get the same amount?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (7)
  • They have a set amount of money for a family by number of ppl in the family. Foodstamps and medicaid go by income. I never found it to be enough to live on but then got on govt housing and that made it easier to live.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Well we just bought a house is why i was wondering.... so we really cant do govt. housing.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • you won't get cash assistance if you get unemployment. Unemployment is more than the state cash assistance and you can't have both.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Depends on how many children you have. Since you and your husband aren't working then you probably will not get PA for yourselves, depends on your state. But, you will be able to get PA for your children. The one that was working will be able to get unemployment for some amount of time depending on how that person was at their job. Usually FS gives you more than enough for food. UE depends on how much the employee was getting paid at their previous job.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • We got more on unemployment then his job when my husband was laid off.....You may only qualify for the medical card because of that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • depending on your state, but FS is based on family size, also medical varies, some states no longer offer it to healthy adults, just the children. If you are looking for cash help you can be denied if you do not apply for unemployment... cash help usually does not even cover your standard rent/house payment.

    Answer by gmasboy at 12:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • My husband would only rbing home about $2500/month..but we live in a place where things are cheap ( our mortage is only $350/month) and we have 2 kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.