Has any mommas had any luck losing that loose skin after birth?

I am pregnant w/ my third and I waited a whole year (didn't try to get pregnant) and I lost all the weight. I didn't try to tone my abs b/c someone told me that no matter how toned my abs were the skin would still be loose there and would probably show more, but I can't walk around w/ a 'booty do' (ya know, your stomach sticks out more than your 'booty do') I'm a very petite lady (5'1 and a 1/2; 100lbs before pregnancy) and everything else is tight but my stomach. I want to do something about it this time! Any suggestions? What worked for you?

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 12:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I had 2 babies in my 20's. My tummy got nice and stretched out. I kept it moisturized with lots of cocoa butter and vitamin e oil, but it didn't matter. I still got the loose skin. I am now in my 30's and barely carry an ounce of extra fat on me; I am a fitness junkie, eat healthy, and exercise vigorously almost every day. My abs are rock hard. They are also covered with a layer of loose, floppy skin. It is what it is, you know? No amount of exercise can cause skin to retract after it's stretched beyond it's boundaries. There are 2 factors that will be key in determining whether you get the "booty do" and how bad it might be. One is how large your tummy gets (how much the skin is stretched) and how much natural elasticity your skin has. Some things you just can't do anything about. But exercise and toned abs are good for ya anyway, so you should do it regardless :) Good luck with your new baby.
    Anonymous

• Mine is getting better. I think an important key is slow steady weight loss. If you lose it too fast the skin doesn't have time to shrink back. And keep the skin moisturized to help it keep its elasticity as you lose weight. Eating properly also can help the skin retain elasticity.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 12:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If you are in your twenties loose skin still has elasticity and with consistent excercise it will go back, now if you are in your thirties, it is a different story.

Answer by older at 12:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I'll be 25 by the time this baby is born. I don't know, I do lose weight fast because of my high metabolism. I try to eat more food, but it never stays stuck! And last year I was left w/ this saggy skin in the front. :(
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 12:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• it has to do with the health of your skin (cocoa budder, taking multi vitamins, and drinking lots of water keep your skin healthy) but also you can't lose the weight too quickly because it leaves excess skin. even a 300 lbs person can lose all that weight and have tight skin if they lose the weight properly, and yes do ab exercises. in fact it's important to do ab exercises when you're pregnant because strong abs help to push the baby out, they don't hurt the baby at all if you do them right.
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i did a workout dvd and lost 2 inches of skin..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 8, 2010