How often can I give my 3 month old a bath?

A nurse at the hospital said to give my baby a bath only 2 - 3 times a week. However, i want to start to establish a bedtime routine, and would like bathtime to be a part of it. Is it ok to give a 3 month old a bath every night?

What are some other suggestions for bedtime routines?
(Besides crying herself to sleep. I feel she is still too young for that)

amanda53x

Asked by amanda53x at 12:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always give once a day. I still can't believe that some parents give their babies/child a bath only two or three times a week. That is so disgusting. Where I come from, at least my family ( we adults shower two times a day. Mornings and evenings). And kids shower once a day.
    Anonymous

• If it's in the summer as it is now, it should be every day.. In the winter the doctors say for newborns till 3-4 mnths every other day.. They do get dirty no matter what as you're finding out now.. We do evening baths for my 5yr old and night time baths to relax my 5month old..
    halleyquinn

Answer by halleyquinn at 12:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• you can bathe your baby every day. My son has baths before bed every night.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• YOU CAN GIVE HER BATH AS OFTEN AS YOU WANT!!! There is truth that the more often it is the more it can cause the skin to dry out seeing they are young and the skin is sensitive. My personal opinion is NO MORE then once a day, but AT LEAST every 2-3 days. Of course there are time were you just have to do a bath more then once day due to diaper blowouts or vomit sickness, etc. My opinions are assuming the child is healthy, no skin issues such as eczema, and there has been no diaper blowouts. :)
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• to anon 12:36 how is showering 2 to 3 times a week disgusting? There are plenty of people who dont shower everyday an im sure you know some people like that do you think they are disgusting? thats just rude to say....

When my son was 3 months he got a bath 3 or 4 times a week.. when he got super dirty he got a bath.. if he was like at home playing or doing the things he does.. then we would just wash cloth him with warm water before bed :)

for another routine.. why not try listen to soft music an rocking her? or reading a story? never to early for that! :) good luck!
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 1:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You can bathe her every day, just make sure to keep her well moisturized. I'm a big advocate of reading books, even to babies - the earlier you start reading to them generally the longer they will let you when they get older. At first she'll just enjoy listening to your voice, but as she gets older you can get her more interested in the pictures and point out the different things in the book. Also, we established very early a "good night song" (for each of my kids it's been a different song - for my youngest it's Twinkle Twinkle) as the last thing we do before laying them down.

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• You'll dry out her skin especially with the junkthat is in baby soap, lotions, and creams. Read the labels some time! I only ever sponge bathed if needed, i didn't immersion bathe.

And to warn you, a bath can have a stimulating effect rather than relaxing. You don't need a routine. Though low lights, soft voices, and feed and snuggle is routine enough. A special song you hum or sing is nice if you like.

Another caution, if your routine is unwavering and always the same you could have problems when you can't or don't want to do the bath.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:57 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would not give her a bath right before bed, It will stimulate her and keep her awake. In the Morning, bathe her in a baby bath that fits in the kitchen sink every other day and sponge bath in between. Before bed, wash her face & hands gently. That's what I did and I also used Mustela Hydra Baby Lips & cheeks for babies on my DS face and Jergens lotion all over after washing and baths. He was born in the winter so he had dry skin & only Jergens would sooth it.
    Anonymous