What is the most food you can buy for 20 dollars that will last a family of four for three days?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• lots of pasta, rice and beans.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• if there is an aldi around i recomend that. but pretty much what acurran said.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would go to the bakery outlets to get some bread, look throught the "late-date" meats at the local grocery stores, and buy a case of top ramen! ~ Start with what you already have and build a plan around that. "Visiting Grandma" one night can help a lot too (LOL)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• chicken~n~rice... also add cream of chicken, cream of mushroom and cream of celery and it will last a really long time...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If you are lucky enough to find a chicken for $4-6 that can last you 3 days. First night chicken, potatoes, salad. 2nd night: chicken tacos, 3rd night: use the bones and any left over meat to make chicken stock for soup. The chicken works if you happen to have things on hand like some veggies, onions, or even some noodles to sub. instead of potatoes. If you have to buy everything that's a drag. Chicken $6; carrots $2; celery $2; 2 heads of lettuce $2. (hopefully you have salad dressing on hand). Salsa $2 and taco shells $2. That's $16 and will cover dinner for the next 3 days (assuming I had something on hand) I would round that off with some bread and milk. I would have things in my pantry ALREADY like flour, sugar, can veggies, rice, eggs, onions, pasta, butter etc that I could use to help fill in where needed. I would make some snicker doodles for snacks. If I didn't have anything in the pantry I would be screwed!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I can't stand the thought of having to do it, but I'd buy 2 loaves of bread ($3), a jar of peanut butter (if I didn't have any, $3), 3 dozen eggs ($4), as many apples as I could (I can usually buy a couple different varieties for under $1/lb, so I'd get at least 6lbs), and fill the rest with ramen. At least we'd have protein, fruit/fiber, and carbs...but I keep a stocked house so the possibility of having to feed my family on $20 is highly unlikely - we always have cereal, meat, pasta, rice, canned goods, frozen veggies, and ingredients to make homemade stuff (flour, sugar, etc).
    Anonymous

• I am trying to decide this for myself tonight. I am thinking more like 15 dollars to last until Friday. I have a couple of things already in the house but nothing for a full meal. Good luck to both of us!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• a dozen eggs
    2 loafs bread
    2 bx noodles
    1 jar sauce
    1 pk polish sausage or roll sausage
    1 box insta rice
    1 bag frozen brocoli
    1 jar cheese spead
    2 cans tuna
    2 pack hot dogs
    2 box m&c
    1 can corn
    1 jar boillon
    1 bag mixed vegatables

breakfast- french toast or scrambled eggs w/ fried hot dogs
    lunch- veggy soup *boillon, noodles, and mixed veg +any seasoning from your pantry*
    dinners- m&c,corn and hot dog casserole
    brocolli, cheese and rice casserole
    spagetti with sausage

I can get everything here at my local $ store it is not the healthiest of meals but they are cheap and easy

wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Dried beans and lentils
    tortillas
    brown rice
    quinoa
    whole wheat pasta
    peanut butter
    whole grain bread
    oatmeal

Answer by rkoloms at 5:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If you can come up with $30.00. You can buy enough food to feed a family of 4 for a week through Angel Food Ministries

We order it every month & we save so much on our monthly grocery expenses.

Anonymous