playing pretend: Boys pretending to shoot guns

My 3 y/o pretends he is a cowboy and folds his hand into a gun and pretend to shoot. I didn't think anything of it, he does not hit or use bad words, the play is defintely inocent. but then a mom nonchanlantly brought up she doesn't like it when other kids pretend in this manner, and that her kid doesn't know what a gun is. She didn't mention my son, but this got me thinking.... is my son pretending to shoot guns inappropiate, or determental?? If so, then any use of waterguns would be frowned upon too?? how do other mommies feel about their kids playing like this? I really don't believe that this type of play is bad, plenty of boy..kids for that matter have done this for many years and not all of them turn out to be snipers... Is playing cops and robbers and cowboys now a "no-n0"??

DIETITIANMAMA

Asked by DIETITIANMAMA at 12:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They can also chew their bread into the shape of a gun, use their granola bar like one, etc... teach your children to not shoot people. Boys (and girls too), all have done it at one time or another. There will be those that over react and live in the world of unicorns and rainbows that believe if you tell them not to do it, they will stop. Nope! They will continue and you will continue to get after them. Teach them what is gun safety, that guns can hurt people and you can never point their gun (of any kind) at people. It isn't worth the fight.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. Someday some of these little boys will grow up to be police or military men. And that is a noble job.
    Anonymous

• I am not for guns- or pretending to use guns. HOWEVER, my husband is a cop & guns are in our house and apart of Daddy's everyday life. My son will NOT EVER have guns, waterguns, ect. However, if guns arent such a prominent part of your life- i dont see how pretend can be harmful. Your son is aware of what it is & what it does...
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I do not see anything wrong with it. My son looks up to his daddy and wants to be just like him (a soldier) and he only shoots the "bad guys" who are out to get the good guys.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• If that is bad, then my parents and I should have CPS called. I bought my son cap guns and holsters and a play rifle when he was 2. My dad let me shoot a .22 rifle at age 2. LOL I bought the guns because i was tired of him using the toy drill or making legos into guns.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the support, I think what I'll do is explain ( which I haven't done yet) the a gun is a weapon that has bullets in it that can hurt someone..very badly and its okay to play that only with other kids that are okay with that. I will tell him only to play guns that shoot marshmallows or water and something that won't hurt the person. Because, its never nice to hurt someone.
    Does that sound okay? do you think a 3 y/o will understand that??
    DIETITIANMAMA

Answer by DIETITIANMAMA at 12:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It is true though that once they get to school there will most likely be a zero tolerence policy. Even if they use their fingers and say bang, they can get kicked out of school. So your going to have to let them know that it is inappropriate.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010