paternity test

i was wondering if my boyfriend will need a paternity test to be put on our daughters birth certificate (due next month). i'm just asking because we aren't married and i heard that if you aren't married you need a paternity test. he is her father, there's no possible way he couldn't be cause he's the only guy i've been with in over 2 years. my concern is they are expensive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No you don't need a paternity test. I wasn't married to my now husband at the time of our first daughter's birth and had no issues putting him on the birth certificate.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• we are not married and did not have to have one. he just had to sign it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• He just needs to sign an AOP (acknowledgement of paternity) form and have it notorized. It can be done at the hospital. I used to be a birth registrar and notary at the hospital I used to work at and filled these things out all day long.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Oh and it is free :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Depends on your state. You need to contact the hospital and ask them.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Here in WA you sign and notorize a pregnancy affidavit (sp)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• lol *paternity
    June_Mama09

• I'm pretty sure if he's there and willing to sign it, then they don't really ask questions. I know people who have had men put as the father who were not the bio dad and they had no issue with it.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010