If you had 100$ to buy food for food storage what would you buy?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Food & Drink

• fruits and vegatables that freeze or can-up well since it is the time of year when they cost less. Noodles, rice,beans and oats because they keep for a long time. Flour, corn meal, eggs and milk because i can make bread/cakes/bisquits and freeze them.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Dry goods? Frozen goods? Meats? Non-perishables? A little more detail like that would help - I'm the queen of keeping stores of food ;).
    Anonymous

• OP: It was a gift from my mom. I already have a lot, but am not sure where to spend this. I don't have near what I feel I need.
    Anonymous

• What DO you have? I really pay attention to sales, and stock up on stuff we use a good amount of when it's on sale - right now, I have a ton of cereal on hand, I make sure I have a bunch of frozen veggies, some canned (usually frozen peas, corn, french cut green beans, broccoli, mixed, canned green beans), canned fruit (as well as plenty of fresh), a variety of pastas & rices, some dried & canned beans, other canned goods (evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, tomato sauce/paste, etc), baking stuff (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, various mixes, pwd sugar, brown sugar, etc), seasonings & spices, meats in the freezer (we slaughter a steer every year, plus order organic chickens, I buy a little pork, hot dogs, a few random things here & there)...ask any other questions you have, I'll keep checking this post - like I said, I'm the queen of a well-stocked house, we could get stranded for 2 months and eat well!
    Anonymous

• OP: What types of fruit on hand (canned, frozen) do you have?
    Anonymous

• Hold onto it until you need it...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• OP: It is specifically for stocking up. I will respect her wishes and stock up. I am just trying to figure out what to buy.
    Anonymous

• I keep canned pears, peaches, fruit cocktail, mandarin oranges, pineapple (all varieties) on hand. For frozen, once a summer we go to a you-pick strawberry farm - we use the berries in many ways but about half of them get frozen whole (I use them later for smoothies, jam, cake). DH's aunt from Michigan sends us 10+lbs of blueberries every summer, she goes to a you-pick place there. You can buy bags of frozen fruit, but I don't buy much except blueberries when we run out. I also will buy fresh fruit like kiwis, mangos, bananas, peel & chunk them and freeze - that's for smoothies though in the summer, or homemade popsicles. Any fruit you can buy frozen, you can buy fresh & freeze. I also freeze peeled/cored/quartered apples for baking with later on. I also sometimes keep pie filling on hand, and canned pumpkin - both can be used for a variety of things in a pinch.
    Anonymous