How do you cope with anxiety about your kid?

I"m a first-time Mom with a 15 mos. old. Sometimes I lie awake at night thinking about all the terrible things that might happen to her. Most of them are outlandish, but I can't help it. She is the most valuable thing to me and I am scared shitless that something will happen to her. How do you stop thinking about these things? I have trouble sleeping and never did before becoming a mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, to be honest, you need to take a night and cry. Release that stress. Go and buy a punching bag and punch away the fears. Then realize, you are wasting too much time being anxious and LIVE.
    Anonymous

• LOL! Mine are in their twenties. You think you have it bad now. Sorry to burst the bubble, but it only gets worse. Wait till they drive, want to go somewhere by themselves, date, get married and have kids of their own. A mother's job is never done- worries never cease. My grandmother has 11- when she fell ill to Alzheimer's, she would go to the front door each night and yell for them one by one to come in for the night.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• i know what you mean! I often think about the bad what ifs and how the hell I would continue on with my life. It's called being a mom :)
    This frame of mind will only cause you major major stress. Try not to focus on the future...think about the now. In general!
    albert einsten wrote: "learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow". he didnt literally mean "hope tomorrow will be here" but have good hopes for the future! in other words, don't focus on the negative! :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• m-avi...you are SO right! Gosh...my son is only 2...I can't even bear the thought of dropping him off at pre-k for a few hours, or kissing him goodbye as he walks onto the school bus for his first day of kindergarten! Man...then before I know it he will ask to borrow my car.....then get his first apartment......I already know i will have empty nest syndrome and become the crazy cat lady to fill that void lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• WOW... you should send me a message so we can talk...because I am the same way !!! Ever since my daughter ( first born) was born I have been like that -- thinking it would get better as she got older but it has gotten worse she is 3 now & I have a 1 year old son too.

I lay awake at night and worry about everything, from one of them getting hit by a car, having some kind of uncureable medical problem, somone kidnapping them.... and now I have only a little over a year until my daughter starts school.... so i have a new set of worries... like what if there is a tornado, or some other bigger kid beats her up ...

I think i need anxiety meds but maybe we can talk and make ourselves feel better !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 1:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I get told I am nuts and need to "get over it" because I am this way too - I am truly terrified of something happening to my son - its preventing us having another one actually - I am afraid I might smoother him with love or worry too - like not letting his ride his bike to his friends or play by himself outside or even go around the block by himself. I won't let him stay over night at even his grandparents house -and I rarely leave his side - I lie awake thinking of the worst too - I don't know how people are just so aloof to the dangers out there but then again, how will my son ever fend for himself in the real world with a mom protecting his every whim like me??
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2010