Does your kiddo have free reign of all his toys? Or do you split them up and rotate them out every so often?

ManicMomma02

Asked by ManicMomma02 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tried that.. then I just forgot about the ones I put away haha-- Oh well.. He pretty much rotates his interest on his own, he wont touch a puzzle for 3 weeks then all of a sudden one day that's all he wants to do!
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• ummm,they're his to play with. I don't know why I'd take them away for any reason.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Hers are all out in the living room, but she doesn't have many. We try not to fill our house w/ crap.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well all toys are in the playroom, she can play with anything she wants. It's toys..
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 1:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have them separated into boxes and I rotate them in/out of his closet. That way, he doesn't get bored with his toys and every few weeks he gets "new" stuff to play with.

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• @ danielp: "We try not to fill our house w/ crap." toys r not crap! you will have toys around for a long time and just think eventually they will take over the house weather you admit it now or not it is bound to happen! you can't seclude your kids from toys! that sounds like what my parents used to do! ugh how i can't stand to be around either one of them!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 1:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well... the reason I ask was because I was reading in a parenting magazine in a doc's office that it's good to rotate toys out so that they're not bored with the same toys, like missanc stated.
    I wasn't talking about confiscating toys or hiding them or anything like that. I was just wondering how common it was for other moms to do it. I'd never thought about doing that.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• they are all out for him to play but I have read the idea of spiltting them up so they dont' get bored.. I just don't have to room to store them
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't take any of my girls' toys "out" of rotation completely, but I do rotate which ones are in the living room (kind of their main play space) and which are in the bedroom. They're young still and having toys in the bedroom at all is sort of a new concept, but they do enjoy playing in there by themselves while I take a shower and get dressed for the day. I find it's useful to rotate which books are in the living room and which books are in the bedroom, too... They take a whole new interest in a book sometimes if it gets to be one of their bedtime books...

But I don't think it's a bad idea... they certainly rarely notice if toys are gone... I have even done toy swaps with a friend (mostly when they were babies, but I could see doing it with preschoolers, too)... we'd trade a box of toys for a month or so, then trade another box.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I've tried to rotate them out, but considering that 90% of his toys are cars, it's kind of hard to really rotate them.

I hate cars, so much.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010