Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peanut butter?

I'd like to give my son peanut butter, but I'm terrified he could have a peanut allergy. How have any of the moms on here given their children peanut products? By the way, he's 13 months old, I don't know if that matters.

Answer Question
 
MomMom23

Asked by MomMom23 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 17 (3,962 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • just give him a little bit and wait about a day. it's really the only way you will find out if he is alergic.
    jennifer588

    Answer by jennifer588 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • I'm severely allergic, whereas my DH is not, so it was a 50/50 chance he could get it. I gave my DS a little peanut butter with toast and kept a close eye on him for a few hours, which is when it'll almost always make it's appearance if he has any sort of allergy. He was fine. I'd do the same for your guy. :]
    ManicMomma02

    Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Do you have a family history of peanut allergies? If not, then I wouldn't worry. Also if you do have a family history and you think he may, put a drop on his skin because many severe peanut allergies show up on skin.
    carmadsmom

    Answer by carmadsmom at 1:15 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • I wouldn't just rely on the skin one... I have to ingest any peanut products to go into asphyxiation. But I can handle it.
    Maybe I'm just the odd one.. >_>
    ManicMomma02

    Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • I started giving my son peanut butter when he was just over 1 - no peanut problems.
    missanc

    Answer by missanc at 1:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • "Do you have a family history of peanut allergies? If not, then I wouldn't worry."
    --that's the advice I took once... Mistake!!!
    Here is my advice, but before you read, know that if I had read this a year ago, I would have thought it sounded crazy paranoid. PLEASE don't take this lightly. My little one, at 13 months, had a small bite of a peanut butter cracker. I didn't give it to her, but I gave it to her big sister who had no allergy and we have no history of allergies, asthma, nothing.. in our family. So when I saw she had gotten ahold of sister's pb cracker, I thought, "well, there you go with your first exposure to peanuts" and made a mental note to keep an eye. She got hives within seconds. By the time we got to the hospital, she had trouble breathing and had vomited all over herself. We lived 5 minutes away from the ER.
    Wait until 2 years and then give some pb in the ER parking lot!!! If she's not allergic, great!
    EmilySusan

    Answer by EmilySusan at 1:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • (cont'd). Waiting a little longer to have peanut butter when she wasn't even allergic does not harm her in any way. Please, it's such a scary allergy, and you just never know where you'll see it... I have a couple of friends whose kids also have it and they also have no history of food allergies. It's very much on the rise, for whatever reason... If you're in the ER parking lot (or the hospital cafeteria is another suggestion I've heard), you can check in in and have medical attention in seconds flat. If there's no allergy, you can drive on home.

    So many people will tell you "I gave it at such and such an age, and my child was fine." That doesn't mean a thing for your child! Sorry to go crazy on you, but I can't think of a scarier, more traumatic experience than that trip to the ER.
    EmilySusan

    Answer by EmilySusan at 1:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • My oldest is allergic. It took me a few times to realize it. One at 11 months with a peanut butter cookie. Rash developed around his lips. Again a month later with a peanut butter sandwhich rash and then threw up. That's when I realized it was the pb. He has had PB since a few times. By accident given by a child care worker and a teacher. Each attack has been worse then before. Watch for signs.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Not until age 2
    rkoloms

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

  • Let the kid have a small taste and keep an eye on them for anything unusual. Of my four, only one has a food allergy. Red dye breaks my daughter out in hives within minutes.
    nytefae

    Answer by nytefae at 5:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN