First cycle/breastfeeding

Hi, has anyone gotten their first cycle while breastfeeding & you are in a ton of pain & bleeding profusely? I don't know if it is normal or if there might be a problem with my IUD.

MyKyRa07

Asked by MyKyRa07 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Health

• An IUD can definitely make your periods worse. Your body senses a foreign object, and is trying to force it out, causing more cramping and bleeding.

While your health care provider should have told you this, I suspect that he/she assumed that you did your own research prior to getting the IUD.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't have an IUD (i'm on the mini pill). I breastfeed our son on demand 24/7, he gets nothing else. I started my first cycle at 7 weeks. IT was "normal". Then I got my second one in April. It was pure HELL. I was in sooo much pain (compared to my "normal" periods) and bled really heavy. It lasted 5 days longer than normal too. I called my doc and he told me that since I"m EBFing it's normal for the cycles to be off. He told me if I have a fever, blood that won't stop (when you sit on the toilet it sounds like your peeing), feel extremely lightheaded/dizzy, pass out or fill a pad in an hour, to call him and be seen ASAP.

Join the breastfeeding moms group on here. The ladies in there can help you. It's a GREAT group.
    Anonymous