my mils chi bit my daughters arm really bad....

and my mil says it's time to get rid of him. apparenty he has been biting her grand kids. she happened to tell me once before and i totally forgot. i didn'trealize the severity of his bites as my mothers poodle bites at her old age but it's more like nips which never break skin nor leave marks. more like scaring the kids to back off. thing is she has to make sure that this dog doesn't go to another home where it will be biting kids. he was vicious. my daughters arm has puncture marks with bruising and scratches up and down her arm. i was so mad i wanted to beat the dog to death. apparently when he has pups around he gets more territorial so she says. the puppies aren't even outside. anyway i feel bad cause i didn't have my eyes directly on her. i guess i'm just used to feeling as if she is safe with dogs since i have 5 of my own. anyway how can she get rid of this dog? i don't see taking it to a shelter or posting on craig

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Pets

• A vet will put it down if you tell them why you want it done. Vets don't want vicious dogs out "in the system" either.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• A chihuahua rescue will take it. They are known for biting, especially children, and it is a common reason to give one up to a rescue.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I agree with riotgrrl. It's a common trait in chis (although ppl would have you believe other breeds are the big biters). You CAN rehome the dog with full disclosure, to a home without children or pets.
    Anonymous

• I agree with pp a chi rescue. They can place it in a home with no children. I swear little dogs are more vicious then big ones. We have a maltese that got ahold of DD"s face.
    Anonymous

• You mean to tell me there are people who are willing to take a dog that BITES?! Thats a little crazy! A dog that bites will bite anyone. I'm biased because when I was 11,my aunts dog came close to ripping my top lip completely off! 47 stitches later from a plastic surgeon and you can hardly tell. I guess if you're crazy enough to chance taking a dog that could bite someone,or attack someone elses pet,more power to ya!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• OP-well thing is a called one place already and they aren't taking any new dogs. which i'm not surprised about and i have feeling this is going to be the case with chi rescues as the fad has run out the chi population has risen and so many abandoned chi's out there.
    Anonymous

• I'd take it to the vet and have it put down. There's no way to be sure that chi wouldn't bite someone later on, and there's no way to ensure the new owners won't have child visitors or neighbors. Besides, any dog that is so territorial and aggressive with people of any age (without instruction, such as Police dogs) doesn't deserve life, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to run the risk. I'd feel terrible if I heard later on that my dog had attacked another baby after I gave him away to even the most responsible home. I don't think I could live with myself after that.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:22 PM on Jun. 8, 2010

• I have a chihuahua and I never knew they were prone to biting. My dog is extremely affectionate, she's protective and while she has nipped at my 4 year old, not to sound mean, but my 4 year old was hitting her and antagonizing her but even then my dog has never actually bitten my daughter. She mostly just barks and growls at her. With everyone else my dog is great. You should contact as many rescue shelters as possible; determine how far you're willing to travel and call every shelter within the limit. Unfortunately if you can not find a chi rescue shelter the dog will have to be put down. A few years ago I had a rottweiler/dalmation mix who was very tempermental with strangers and other pets. My family pushed me into getting rid of him when my second child was born and no shelter would take him and I was forced to put him down.
    Anonymous

• Put it on Craigslist and backpage, Chihuahuas are great dogs just no good around kids.
    Place an ad like this!!
    Rehoming a chihuahua for free to a home without small children. No adoption fee, just a good home!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jun. 9, 2010

• op-i put him on craig but noone has contacted me.
    Anonymous