solutions for bathing toddlers with only a shower?

I'm so nervous... In about a month we're moving to a house with only shower stalls and, of course, my 21 month-old and 3 year-old only ever take baths. I know my older daughter will adjust okay, because she's had showers before and enjoyed them (though right now she's in an anti-shower kick), but my little one totally freaks out at the mere suggestion of the shower. I'm afraid I won't be able to get her in there! Beyond the horrible feeling of guilt that we're taking away one of their most enjoyable events of the day (and where they always play together so well), I'm just not sure how we're going to get the little one clean! THe stall is not big, either -- I thought of putting a kiddie pool in there, but it's only 2 ft by 2.5 feet, approximately. They're way too big for bathing in the sinks that the house has, too. Help! Has anyone been through this???

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 1:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Geez.. quit stressing. Just take them in the shower with you. There... simple, done.
    Anonymous

• Get a wash tub. They have those ones intended for drinks at cookouts. You could use a storage tote too

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• What don't they like about the shower? Maybe you can help them understand and "transition" by letting them run through the sprinklers. Weather permitting and all that fun stuff.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My BIL's house had only a shower. When his girls were little, they had some kind of baby bath that they put in the shower. Like a mini pool. It was small enough to fit in the stall shower area. This was a long time ago, but I bet if you look hard enough, you could find something. Start with Babies R Us and go from there. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• my dd is 22 months and has been taking showers for a couple months now. not every day, but every now and then when i don't feel like cleaning pools of water off the floor lol. my 3yr old has been taking them for a while too, but he's was more scared of the shower than dd was. how i got him to take showers was i would push the shower head so that the water hit the wall instead of the kids. he loves it that way. he likes to put his back on the wall and let the water run down his back, so what i do is wash him up, and let him rinse himself off by putting his back on the wall and then his belly. i use a cup for his hair though, sometimes i do the 'element of surprise' lol and just move the showerhead over his head real quick, he's over it in 2 seconds and keeps playing. have them shower together, it's more fun that way.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Anon:41 -- I have tried that, in anticipation of moving. I have gotten undressed and gotten my little one ready to get in with me... she went BALLISTIC! She was scared of the bath even for a few days after that, and I never even got her under the shower stream! So not necessarily "simple." Geez.

Thank you to the rest of you for your replies. I had thought about the storage totes, but I wasn't sure if there would be a BPA or some other issue with the plastics not being intended for that use..?

The sprinkler idea is definitely a good one... I hadn't thought of that. I think getting them to like the shower is probably better in the longrun than finding a container to let them take a bath in... I don't think the shower heads are removable, and these stalls really are smaller than average....
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:58 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• sorry, a BPA issue or some other issue...
    EmilySusan

• My son (he's 2 1/2) was REALLY scared of showers for a while, too. We have a bathtub, but there were a few instances when he just needed a quick rinse and I thought I'd just let him in the shower with me...turned out to be a bad idea!

You could try some of the other ideas and try the shower every so often, like once every other week. Maybe over some time, they'll adjust their minds to it and get used to the fountain of death water spraying from above. ; ) Good luck!
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 2:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• One reason they might not like it is because they are not tall enough to keep from being constantly sprayed in the face. You might consider replacing the shower head with one that has a hose so it can be removed and brought down to their level. I think I'd also look into some sort of tub or tote that will fit in the shower. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:40 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We have all of our kids take showers, we had to get a hand held shower head to do it but it helped. We just spray the kids down, soap them up and do a quick rinse. We had to go to this when we added 4 foster kids to the 3 kids we already have and only have one bathroom, no time for each of them to take 30 minute baths everyday. It will take time for them to adjust and while working on that you can always do "sponge" baths in the sink with just washing them down while they are standing in the bathroom, we do this sometimes when we go camping. Good Luck.
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2010