did/does your newborn grunt every time s/he poops?

my baby was in the NICU for a month and because of that, i wasn't able to nurse him for his first few weeks due to prematurity. because i was only with him a couple of hours per day, my milk supply suffered so he's on half formula and half breast milk until i can get my supply up and get him on the breast.

anyway, formula is new to me and i can't remember my older son doing this but he was breast fed.

is it normal? my older son might have done it too and i just can't remember. his poo isn't hard at all, normal newborn consistency

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My soon grunts sometimes when he poops..but not always.
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 1:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• *son
    madamlinwe

Answer by madamlinwe at 1:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Yes. It's a potty signal.  I held my baby over a potty for that.   easy clean up!

Check this ecellent video link to help boost your supply:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

www.drjacknewman.com   and  www.kellymom.com are good also

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• All of my kids did....it was funny....and I don't think it has anything to do with whther it is a breast fed or bottle fed baby. Its just a baby thing.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My baby did too and loud. I always thought it was funny till they got really stinky.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• yes! shes doing it right now as she sits here on my lap
    amanda53x

Answer by amanda53x at 2:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• oh yea--and she is breastfed exclusively
    amanda53x

Answer by amanda53x at 2:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• thanks ladies!
    and amilee girl, i have actually seen that video! my NICU was actually extremely pro-BF but they said they had only heard of hands on pumping about 3 mos ago at a conference and had been encouraging it since with good results. at the time of my son's discharge (last friday) i was still only pumping about 8 oz per day. now i'm pumping less than that but that's because he's taking some of it directly. i think it will be a challenge but i still have high hopes that he will be all/mostly BF soon
    Anonymous

• yep! everytime!! i think it is so cute! lol!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2010