what do you ask a baby sitter?

I am interviewing for a occassional sitter for my 13 month old. I have a list of questions, but wondered what other moms ask when interviewing/hiring a sitter?
NOT day care, (this particular interview is a 16 yr old for my home), but a sitter who comes to your house...
thanks mamas!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Get references.

Do you have a criminal background?
    Do you smoke, drink alcohol, or do drugs? (If she does, then you have to decide whether you'll want her or not. THough clearly she isn't to do those in your home)
    Do you have any experience?
    Ask her "What If" scenarios. "If my son were to start screaming with no clear reason why, how would you handle that?" To gauge how she'd react in certain situations.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would want her to have someone close by that could be HER back-up..a mom or another adult friend she could call if she had questions or concerns. I know she would call you in an emergency, but my teens will sometimes call me with little things that they dont want to call the mom for.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Infant and Child CPR would be a must for me. I think the red cross has free online classes for babysitters. I would ask her to complete it and bring the certificate she could probably print.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I searched the internet for questions when I was hiring a nanny. Some of them I think would still apply to a sitter. I found some that I thought were really good questions, like:

What do you like to do in your free time?
    What was the worst thing that ever happened while you were taking care of a child, and how did you handle it?
    What do you like most about babysitting?
    What do you like least about babysitting?

I also ask the ones you wish you could just assume:

Do you do drugs?
    Do you smoke?
    etc

FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• get references too. when i was looking for a sitter for DD i brought people in for an interview then got them to watch DD for 10-15 minutes while i went into the other room (just to see how DD took to them) and then i got references from other people they had babysat for
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 3:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Nevermind, it's a one day class. But I'd still require it.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• ty mamas, she is very close to here so that's nto a worry. as for the CPR her mother had a daycare that she helped with, so that may not be an issue. BUT I will definantly ask her about "what would you do if this happened...."
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone, good input. I actually will be here for the first few times she watches him, so I can maybe get my darn house clean lol all at once. so I plan on keeping a close eye on certain things...ty again.
    Anonymous