Time to pull the plug...any advice?

My 13 month old son is addicted to his paci. I wanted to pull it when he was 6 mos, my mother-in-law started him right back on it, so that was a failure. I wanted to pull it at 1 yr, but my daughter was born right before his birthday and we were advised by the pediatrician not to do it with a new baby in the house. Now, he is walking and talking and I want it GONE! We tried last night, falling asleep was a success, followed by a 2 hour tantrum and a very awake household at 3 a.m. It's only allowed now during nap and bed time. Is there anything I can do? My husband works nights and we are up with our 4 kids by 8 a.m. He needs as much sleep as he can. Nights like this just cannot happen for too long. Help!

midnightshadow2

Asked by midnightshadow2 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• one piece of advice that i read from another mother on CM before that i found very useful was to tie the paci to a certain place in the house. like let's say the kitchen, and you can tie it to the refrigerator door and throw away all other binkies. that way ur LO will realize that it's pretty boring standing here at the fridge to suck on a paci and eventually they'll start roaming away from it because they want to go play rather than stand there all day lol. it worked wonderfully with my LO. my oldest, i just threw it away and made him watch and he threw a few away himself and it was that easy, but this one.. is was a hassle BUT WE DID IT! WOOO! GL mommy
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 2:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't think those nights will happen for too long, but unfortunately, there's really not a much gentler, easier way of doing it, from what I have heard and read. The more quickly you pull off the band-aid, the less it hurts. Suffer through a few brutal nights like that one, knowing it will be over and done with after that. The more you give in and back pedal, the longer and more painful it will be for all of you!!
    Anonymous

• I was at the same place as you a month ago, my son who is now 14 months old hasn't had a bottle since 8 months old. And I wanted him to be without his paci so bad I couldn't stand it. I just hate seeing older kids with a paci in their mouths. So I was bond and determined to take my son's. I tried everything. From buying different kinds, to cutting the tips off and so on. Nothing was really working, and one night we were in the bathroom with SO in the shower and as nasty as it sounds, SO peed in the toilet and didn't flush and DS dropped his paci in the toilet. I was like ewwww....Then I thought, this is it the moment I have been waiting for. Even though he had more pacis I thought this is what I needed to get rid if it for good, So I told DS that the paci was gross and had to go bye bye, so I flushed the paci and he waved bye bye to it. And we had a couple not so great nights, but nothing too horrible. Maybe you should try it.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Have him watch you throw them away. Explain to him that he's a big boy and now longer can use a paci. He will be mad at you, but he will understand eventually. Just take it one day at a time. See if he'll snuggle with a stuffed animal or a blanket at night to help comfort him. Just don't give in to him having a paci.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Throw it out. I know from experience you will have some whining and maybe a couple nights of stress but it will stop eventually. If you keep giving it back you will never get him off of it because he will know that if he throws a big enough fit he will get it back. Cold turkey is the way to go.
    coppersoul

Answer by coppersoul at 3:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Find a new baby he can give it to (would probably work better if it's not a sibling). My dd was thrilled with herself for being a big girl when she gave all of hers to my friends' newborn last summer.
    Really though, if he only gets it at naptime and bedtime, what is it hurting?
    Anonymous

• I saw this one on supernanny. . . have you child collect all their pacis in put them in a bag or basket and put them outside for the "paci farie" to take to all the little babies that need pacis. The next morning have the "paci farie" leave you child something special as a reward. stay up beat. . . now if that only worked for thumb suckers. . . sigh
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I like the idea of tying it to the fridge. Then you're just helping him to the decision to quit... Not taking away something he clearly loves.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:20 PM on Jun. 7, 2010