what is nice about the AMISH COMMUNITY?

I love the Amish people, they are so self sufficient and make things happen every moment, they can and store the food for winter, and plow land, never drive cars, and even live longer or healthier : )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• i've always wanted to go take some time out from the 'real world' and go live with the amish :)
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• that world is the real world, I think if we wipe off any more of the natural use of our selves and land, as far as becoming amish, we may need to wait for God's return, when he proclaims we turn our swords into plowshares.
    Anonymous

• The Amish Community is the 'Real World'. Difference from ours doesn't make it a subreality. It's one 'real world' that many cultures live in.
    The Amish are hard workers. They are family oriented. They know the hard work that we as Americans used to know. We used to be just like the Amish back when "we" founded this country. We would store food, manually plow the land, build our own houses. Look at us now .. We're lazy people, with technology coming out of our ears. Most American's don't even know how to toast bread, let alone cook a meal for their family. We couldn't grow crops if we were paid to. The Amish community lives like the rest of America should. I think Modern Americans have got it way to easy. And we're sucking the life right out of ourselves as we take advantage of all we have created.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:07 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• The amish stink!
    Anonymous

• I live in an area where we have Amish neighbors and their way of life is VERY hard. They work from sun up to sun down all year long. And the poor women are baby making machines. My mom talked to one of the neighbor women about it and she said, in so many words, it just sucks. Think about it, as far as a mother. You are pregnant and have all these other kids to take care of, food to prepare, clothes to wash by hand, house to clean, animals to tend to, the list goes on and on. You don't get a break when you are sick. I give them a lot of credit. Living in a world with a much different society than their own.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think there are good and bad aspects to every way of life. Amish don't have it all peachy keen all the time. The thing is, is that we have had a taste of this life and yearn for something simpler. They on the other hand have grown in that lifestyle and a lot of them yearn to have what we have.
    I say modern conviniences are nice thing to have...electricity.....etc But I would love to go back to the simpler life of sharing things with your nieghborn. Helping raise a house as a community. There's a butcher, a baker, a candle stick maker lol Then we would all rely on each other! In a perfect world...
    Anonymous

• lol- again with the envy of playing pretend. How often do we read here that being a mother is the hardest job in the world- with all the modern conveniences. Now, take all that away and could you survive? You're already whining about how rough you have it- now imagine watching your husband work himself to death- you right there with him. From sun up to sun down...

Take a step back into reality, folks... you have no idea what your life would be like. There are reasons that we created all this modern technology... because it sucked without it.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• The Amish are hard working and self-sufficient. The love of family and of God is simply wonderful. It is not about materialistic things but the simple things in life. Helping one another and coming together as a community which seems to work out beautifully. I think we could learn a lot from them.
    Anonymous

• Amish women don't do things by themselves. One woman is not responsible for a large family.The thing I like most about them is that they all work together to get their tasks accomplished...all the women in the extended family work together on major tasks, men too. The children begin helping at a very early age. They are thrifty, using everything possible to their best advantage, including their neighbor's generosity LOL. The ones that I know don't use electricity in their homes, but they do have propane refrigerators, stoves, and heat.

I do NOT like the fact that they don't have formal education past 8th grade, at least not the ones in my area. The children are then sent out to learn a trade or are kept at home to help their parents until marriageable age. To me, it seems to be a waste of some brilliant minds.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• There are many great things about the Amish, as already pointed out in the above answers, but there are also many things I don't agree with, namely their extremely strict and legalistic brand of Christianity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jun. 8, 2010