Have people forgotten what feminism was really about?

While reading through questions on CM today, I noticed that there are a lot of people who seem to have forgotten that feminism doesn't mean you have to make decision X.

Feminism is about giving women the right to make choices. Just because it isn't the choice you would make, that does not mean it is the wrong choice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The original founders of Feminism are shaking there heads about what it has turned into. I wonder if they knew how it turned out, if they would still make the same decisions that they made.

Anonymous

• Women always had the right to make choices. (once voting was included) Modern feminism forced women out of their homes and perceives all men as total assholes. It's a lose-lose situation. So yeah, I think people have forgotten what feminism was originally about. IMO, it was never necessary to begin with.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think most people (esp. on this site) have a very poor understanding of what feminism is or means. I took a Feminism course in college and I was pretty shocked at the ignorance of most women in the class. The fact is that women still only earn about 75% of what men earn even in mostly female professions. It is about equality and not being treated unfairly because we have children, periods and many other things unique to women. It is about saying that we can and should be able to play sports in school, become Presidents of companies, and still have children. It is about saying that staying home with children is good but so is taking them to daycare or getting a nanny. And most importantly, it is about getting a voice to speak up and say 'hey, I won't be marginilized, I won't stay in a shitty marriage or be treated like a maid (unless I want to). Read The Women's Room for further info.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Women always had the right to make choices. (once voting was included) Modern feminism forced women out of their homes and perceives all men as total assholes. It's a lose-lose situation. So yeah, I think people have forgotten what feminism was originally about. IMO, it was never necessary to begin with

i so agree!
    Kiki_pie1979

Answer by Kiki_pie1979 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• FEMINISM did not force ANYONE out of their homes. Feminism--real feminism, not the extremist crap that makes everyone think that Feminism is the new F-word--does not hate men, does not want to get rid of men. Real feminism is simply about the right to make choices. That means--the right to get married or not, the right to go to school or not, the right to work or stay at home. ALL of that is feminism. I am a feminist and a stay at home mom. Those two things are NOT mutually exclusive. Radical feminism is used to demonize women who want a more "traditional" life, while turning off those who have more moderate views. The stereotype of feminism--butch, man-hating, ball-busting bitches--is NOT the majority of feminists. We have unfortunately allowed them to be the more vocal members of the movement and we--all women--need to take that term back. Feminism is about equality. Not being better. Not having more. Just equality to choose
    Cassidhes_Mom

Answer by Cassidhes_Mom at 2:59 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Feminism is about giving women the right to make choices. Just because it isn't the choice you would make, that does not mean it is the wrong choice.

good

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:11 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

Thats a load of poo...Hiring practices , spousal abuse, property rights even parental rights...gave women few choices

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Wonderful post OP. That is the main reason I support feminism. Equality in every area.
    Unfortunately there are some women who have twisted the meaning of feminism and tried to make men out to be idiots who need to be controlled by women . And then there are some who say they don't need a man.....in order to be a feminist. I believe in equality for men and women, not superiority of either men or women. And we ( men and women )do need each other.

Women need to allow everyone to make their own choices. That is feminism too.
    Anonymous

• Yes I believe they have.
    I'mn in my late 40's. So, I guess I was growing up/coming of age during the feminist movement.
    Equality was the beginnings of the feminist movement. Once upon a time, women were not equally considered for all occupations. Women were not entitled to equal pay for an equal's day work or equal skills (still aren't by the way). Even when it came to higher education, once upon a time, women went to college to be secretaries/teachers/nurses & to find a husband. That's it, if you were interested in pursueing something else back in the 60's 70's, it was a hard road to follow. Even during the early/mid 80's when I was in college you still encountered some resistance by old school/boys club professors in some areas of study.

Yes having "Choice" was part of it. But not the sum total of the original intentions of the movement.
    Anonymous

• I am an Egalitarian myself....

I want equal treatment for men and women... and THERE WAS A NEED FOR A MOVEMENT since women did not always have equal rights and people sacrificed and suffered for women to be able to vote, to have access to birth control, to work or not marry.

Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 4:14 PM on Jun. 7, 2010