Anyone get pregnant with an IUD and if so, how did it turn out?

I asked this late last night and appreciate the responses, but am looking for more experience. Thanks ladies.

I just found out I am pregnant with my second child and have an IUD. The doctor wants to remove it, and there is a high risk of miscarriage if I do, but also a high risk if I don't, as well as complications during labor and problems that could cause me to not have kids in the future. So I am just trying to decide what to do. Anyone been through this and it turned out ok?

Also, are there other things to take into consideration (ie how long I've had my IUD, etc.)??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• WOW! I am shocked. I have an IUD. And I really really really don't want to have another baby right now mostly because we can't afford it, don't have room, and don't have time with working and everything.. Do you know what went wrong with yours? This really scares me.
    Anonymous

• OP here: Nothing "went wrong" - I just happen to be the .01% that got pregnant! LOL I'm not too worried about it, it isn't the best timing, but will it ever be? :-) I just am stressed about what might happen if I take it out vs. leave it in. My doctor recommends taking it out, but it is completely up to me.
    Anonymous

• I think I would take it out. I have heard of this happening before. I know there can be complications with both, but seems like it would come out when you give birth anyway. Not sure on that just guessing...
    Anonymous

• Op here: Yes, it would come out while giving birth, which is something that could complicate my having kids in future (mostly for the risk of tearing as it comes out).
    Anonymous

• I responded to your other post but wanted to give more details. I got pregnant in Feb 09 with an IUD in place and have a healthy almost seven month old baby boy. I discussed the risks of removal vs risks of not removing it with my midwife and got it removed. The only risk to removal is a risk of miscarriage immediately following removal. She suggested bedrest if possible for 48 hours afterwards. I didn't do full bedrest, but I made sure to take it easy. If you do not have it removed, there is still a high chance of miscarriage throughout the pregnancy, risk of birth defects, and risk of uterine perforation at any time during pregnancy, as well as risk of perforation during birth. I chose the single, smaller risk of removal over all the other risks that not removing it could cause. I did have some minor cervical incompetency issues during pregnancy but carried to term. Good luck with your choice.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I had an IUD in for a year when i became pregnant with baby #4. My OB removed it and i had a healthy pregnancy. I gave birth to my 4th boy in April of this year. We are both doing just fine. Hope this helps.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010