how do you teach a 2 and half year old words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You talk to them. Its that simple.

With my 2 y/o anything I do I tell her what I am doing and why, we talk about colors, letters, numbers, the sky, moon, stars, horses, cows.. anything I can see and think to talk to her about. She has an incredible vocab for her age, and I attribute it to simply speaking to her.
    Anonymous

• Read and talk to them. Books books books.
    Anonymous

• Repeating the words over and over, books are also good, just plain talk to them.

Answer by older at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Talk to them. That's all. Unless there is a problem, that is the only thing you have to do. It is impossible for a human child to NOT learn language if s/he is exposed to it (unless there is a problem, like I said - developmental delay, speech/language problem, etc).
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 3:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My son was a late talker, we had him evaluated, but they found he was just fine...they suggested doing things like, if your child points and says "truck" you should respond and say, "Yes, a big red truck" to help he/she along. Talk to him/her about everything you do, "now I'm washing the dishes" etc..., read lots of books and another suggestion was to take an item and hold it up close to your face and say what it is....hold up a ball and say "red ball" and overly pronounce it...when they can see the item and see your mouth movements it is helpful. GL.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Involve them in actual conversation, and DON'T BABY TALK!
    There is a girl in my daughter's mommy & me story time group who is 2 1/2 and only says about 10 words. She was pointing to a toy and saying "moo moo" and instead of her mom saying, "right sweetie, the cow says moo" or "that's a cow, it's black & white" or something similar, the mom just said "moo, moo, good." It really bugs me to see that going on and then hear the mom talking about how she doesn't understand why her dd isn't talking more yet.
    Kids learn by your example, and they will start to pick up words when they are talked to often and when they are exposed to reading books. They don't learn anything new when parents say words back to them in a weird baby talk voice and don't pronounce things correctly.
    Anonymous

• My daughter was speaking in complete sentences at 18 months. She did not watch any TV until she was three. We talked to her constantly.

Please get your child evaluated for developmental delays; chances are there is nothing wrong, but if there is, early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:35 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Talk to them. Read to them. Sing to them. And if your 2.5 year old isn't using words or "enough" words, get him to early intervention and have him looked at. :)
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:17 PM on Jun. 7, 2010