Hand-me-downs for boys?

A lot of people talk about hand me downs from boy to girl but I was wondering if its ok to use girl to boy hand me downs. Nothinkg to girly, I'm not putting him in dresses or anything but just the thing that are gender neutral like pants, shirts, some pjs, things that you can't tell were girls clothes. He is 10 so there is still really not much difference in the clothes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why not???

As long as it suits the child, who cares right. That is the way I see it.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would do it for a baby/toddler/younger kid, but once they hit about third grade then they start noticing the differences in clothing. The differences are subtle, but the kids will notice them and you don't want your kid to be labeled girly, that could really hurt his tender self esteem.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think its absolutely fine. My son always wears hand me downs from his cousin, a girl. It is no big deal. Usually it is nothing that is obviously girls clothes. But if it is, who cares, people will just assume he is one and thats fine with me. You can see him wearing some in these pictures http://www.cafemom.com/photos/album.php?album_id=178652
    dreamyprincess

Answer by dreamyprincess at 2:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I say if you couldn't tell it was a girl outfit before you give it to your son, then I say go for it. No point in throwing out good clothes because a girl once wore them! ; )
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 3:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I can't see how girls clothes would fit a boy when their body types are completely different. I would not put a boy child over a year old in girl clothes.

Dreamy princess yes I can see how you wouldn't mind!
    Anonymous

• dreamyprincess that is a boy? with a pink room????
    Anonymous

• thats not his room. even if it were, whats wrong with a boy liking pink and other stereotypically girls stuff? I always said I would not stereotype my child.
    dreamyprincess

Answer by dreamyprincess at 3:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• hon,your son in all those photos is dressed just like a girl and looks like one. Is he a cross dresser? He's wearing a dress,that not ignoring stereotypes,thats something else!
    Anonymous

• He does like girls stuff, but the dress was just for fun, my idea not his and its not an everyday thing. If he wants to be a cross dresser, I would support him no matter what.
    dreamyprincess

Answer by dreamyprincess at 3:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010