I feel like a horrible mom, I smacked my babies hand.

my 15 month old, unplugged the dvd player and was about it stick it back in the wall, I was freaking out screaming NO NO NO. But he was about to do it anyway so when I got to him, without thinking I took and smacked his hand. I have never smacked him before and really don't even believe in spanking at all. I feel awful about it, after hours of hugging him and telling him how sorry mommy is I really don't know what to do. I just freaked out I guess. What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I smack my son's hand, not to hurt him but to let him know its wrong if he tries to play with electricity at all
    Anonymous

• I've done that before to. Its like a fear reflex moms get or something.
    Don't feel bad. Just give him a big hug and kiss and tell him mommy doesnt want him to get really bad boo-boos.
    He' ll be okay.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• good job...but i wouldnt have told him you were sorry. I spank hands and mean it!! =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would have smacked his hand.
    Anonymous

• We smack hands for touching outlets as well. We have a 13 almost 14 month old. You can't reason with them and when it comes to electricity safety is a big deal.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• When my son started getting into things that weren't safe either, somewhere around that age, he got his hand smacked. But a week or so later when told No, Don't do that....etc....he started to smack himself. So that was when I started time outs. Put him in the play pen with no toys. I would tell him No (whatever behavior) and walk away until he was done screaming/crying. Then repeat No (behavior) that seemed to work a little better, for a short time LOL. Don't feel bad. You have to keep them safe.
    Anonymous

• I smacked my sons back once. he bit me and started shaking his head as if he was doing it intentionally. As he was biting, I smacked him on the back (not hard at all, didnt leave a mark). he didnt cry, he didnt wimper...he looked at me like "wtf mom....". I felt terrible. I'm not a violent person, I knew even before I was pregnant i would neve raise a hand to my child....but he was physically harming me and it was my human instinct to get him off me. I did the same thing as you, i hugged him and apologized over and over. It obviously hurt him more than me because he acted like nothng happened. I havent raised a hand to him since, even out of self defense lol. your reaction was also done out of human instinct. You smacked the outlet out of his hand, for safety reasons...you didnt smack him out of anger.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• OH SHIT I meant to write "it obviously hurt me more than it did him"
    GEEZ lol
    Owl_Feather

• You had a good reason to smack his hand. He could have been killed for doing that. Don't stress.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't think you did anything wrong. A smack on the hand is far better than electrocution. I have done the same thing to both of my daughters.
    Anonymous