Does anyone else have this problem?

Okay here goes. My 20 month old little girl has been pulling her hair put for no reason at all. She was doing it at nap and bedtime. Well we cut out the nap so I can watch her if she pulls it. I was worrying if there is any more mothers going through the same thing and how can u make it stop? What can I do? I am stress to the max. My husband and I are about ready to shave her head.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take her to the doctor. Make sure there isn't a bigger issue. Is she having a tantrum while doing it, or just doing it?
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Talk to your Doctor, this condition is normally associated with OCD.
    Anonymous

• Have you ever heard of Trichotillomania? My room mate in boarding school had it. She would do it in secret and wore a wig most of the time. It is a horrible thing when left untreated. But I know there is treatment for it. Maybe take her to the doctor and mention it to them. It may be something else. Does she ever try to eat the hair, because I know that is something different where your body lacks a certain nutrient. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. And good luck I hope everything turns out good for her.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I have three nieces that did the same thing and they are all fine. There mom finally gave the third child a blanket to pull at instead of her head that helped her! I would still talk to your doctor and see what they say, other then that I would say try to find something else she can pull the hair out of it may be comforting to her! Good Luck
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 3:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My DD did this when she was younger, I would say maybe from 6-12 months or so. She would do it when she got frustrated or tired and in bed sometimes too. It seemed to me she was doing it to comfort herself. She outgerw it and now at 20 months she doesn't do it anymore. I would guess chances are it is related to some sort of self-soothing but it's worth a mention to the doctor in case it is a sign of something else. I liked the other poster's idea of a blanket to pull at instead. If the motion is soothing the blanket might be a good replacement.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Shave her head.
    Greeneyes1

Answer by Greeneyes1 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010