Do you give your kids an allowance? If you do, how much do they get, and what do they do to earn it?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 3:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids get $10/week, but the money is not tied to specific tasks. We don't want our children to take care of their things because they get paid to do so. We want them to learn to take care of their things because they care about them. Basic chores are done in our house simply because they must be done in order to have a well-functioning and safe household. We *WILL* pay them to do a job that we would hire someone else to do, like babysitting a younger sibling, but we don't pay for everyday chores.

We give our kids an allowance solely to help them learn to use and budget money. We want them to have the opportunity to make mistakes with money, and learn from those mistakes, while they are still at home so that they will have some concept of money management BEFORE they go off on their own. We don't use allowances to teach them how to EARN money. That's a different lesson. They're related, but not the same.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 7:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Starting when my son was 7, he earns $1.00 per completed chore and I pay him every two weeks.
    If its a tougher chore then I give him more.
    Also, if I feel he has worked exceptionally hard on his behavior, doesnt argue with me about doing chores and other things, then I give him more then too.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We actually don't give an specific allowance. It just wasn't working for us. My older kids have specific chores that must be done or they don't get to do what they want to do. They also help with little things like clearing or setting the table, as does their little brother.
    It works for us. We also give them money when they need it. Like my oldest went to an amusement park with school, in addition to paying for the admission, I gave him some cash for what ever he wanted - silly hat, ice cream, lemomade.

I know a family where the kids (10 &11) get $10/week, paid every 10 weeks. I don't know what chores they have. It works for them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My son is 4 and he gets $1 a week unconditionally and $1 a week which is tied to setting the table and giving his bedroom a good clean every Thursday afternoon. He almost always gets $2 and he saves it up to buy what he wants. He's learned that it's better to save for better items. He bought a toy car for a couple of dollars which fell apart in a couple of days so he returned it. Another he saved up for, paid $8 for a really good quality one which still looks like new several months later. He now knows it's better to pay a bit more.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010