Spare the rod?

Do you believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child" parenting?

Ren_Ren

Asked by Ren_Ren at 3:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't believe in hitting a child for any reason. I can't imagine Jesus hitting a child with a rod

Answer by admckenzie at 3:31 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I do, but I do use other methods that are not rod related
    Anonymous

• nope i do not. I think this is the reason we have soooooo many out of control spolied little brats running around. Children have no respect any more for thier elders and why should they? All they are going to get if they dont is relax time in the so called *time out chair*
    Anonymous

• i believe in spare the rod, love the child.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:41 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I do not believe in hitting children. I can't hit my spouse when he makes me angry, I can't hit the waiter who doesn't do as I ask, or my boss, etc. so why woudl it be ok to hit a child?
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:45 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• No I wouldn't hit my daughter for any reason. I feel all hitting teaches a child is that it is ok to hit.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 3:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I believe if you do not punish a child for breaking rules or correct bad behavior and teach good behavior then you are not creating a productive member of society and you are just doing yourself and the child a disservice. But I do not believe that means you have to hit. My ex hit me. And yes, i did what he wanted. But that was out of fear not respect or believing what he said was the right thing.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I believe that it is wrong to teach a child that hitting solves.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I don't believe in hitting kids. I do believe in disciplining them. My kids are not spoiled but they ARE well loved. They know the rules and boundaries. They respect them and they respect their father and me.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well said ladies..
    Ren_Ren

Answer by Ren_Ren at 9:39 AM on Jun. 8, 2010