Diary..

If you child keeps a diary, do you read it?

Ren_Ren

Asked by Ren_Ren at 3:27 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• If I felt she was hiding things from me, I wouldn't hesitate to read her diary and I'm not ashamed of that. It's my job as her mom to see to her health, happiness, and well being. If there's a problem and she's not talking to me... Well, it's a way to find out what's going on.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I never read my children's diary even though my son read my dd's diary and told me to read it. Some things are just private. A diary should be sacred and respected.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• why would you want to real your childs diary anyways? that is supposed to be their private book to express themselves without having to talk to anybody.
    Anonymous

• read**
    Anonymous

• Until my child is an adult. As in living on their own. I will read their diary and search threw their rooms. Kids do not get PRIVACY  in my house.

Answer by louise2 at 3:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My DD is young still, but I would NEVER invade her privacy like that. I respect my child.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Your child is suppose to respect you, not the other way around.

Answer by louise2 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Only if I suspected an issue...

Answer by rkoloms at 4:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Respect is a 2 way street. If you don't let your child have a sense of privacy and self, if you treat your child as if they are your possession, not another living, feeling person. If you don't allow your child to live and blossom, to think and feel. If you don't respect that they are another person, not something to be controlled and molded and beaten, there are consequences to that when the child becomes an adult.

I think diary's should only been read when shared by the person keeping it. I think it's sad when a parent feels the need to control so much that a child can't even write down their innermost feeling and thoughts. (though there are extreme cases in which I think a parent may need to, but to do it casually, is crazy!)

Anonymous