How old should a child no longer have to take naps?

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Hell, I'm 24 and still like my occasional nap!
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 6:23 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Totally depends on the child, and how much sleep they get during the night. My DDs sleep between 10 and 12 hours each night, and neither one of them naps anymore unless we're on a long car trip. They are almost 3 and almost 4.
    I know kids who get home from Kindergarten and nap, but only get about 7 or 8 hrs at night. I also know 1 yr olds who only nap for 20 minutes at a time, 3 times a day but sleep 14 hours at night. It varies a lot and only you can really judge if your kid needs to nap.
    Anonymous

• Not an age limit...more of a need limit. My son is 14 and I think he could still use one. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• When the child sleeps long enough at night and functions without being cranky during the day without a nap is a good time to stop enforcing the nap, though a little quiet time each day is still a good thing. I think this could happen anytime between 2 and 6 years of age. I don't think there is just a magic age when naps stop being useful to all children.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 2 and 1/2 she sleeps 12 hours at night and still takes 2 to 3 hour nap in the day..she likes her bed i guess??
    Anonymous

• My kids haven't napped since the age of 2. They sleep 10-12 hours at night and are now 5 and 7. Sometimes they wills till take a nap on their own if they are sleepy.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:05 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Our kids are 5,6, and 7 and it is the 7 year old that will ask to lay down. We have them lay down for an hour but they don't have to sleep. This would be on the weekends and in the summer. I don't do this everyday but on days where they have been up late the night before or are being crabby. I agree it depends on each child, I know some kids just function with less sleep than others. I would LOVE a nap everyday!
    niehoff9

Answer by niehoff9 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I say if they are still taking one, let 'em take it. I know some kids who gave up naps before their 2nd birthday, though.

I can't even imagine that. I'd still enforce a "quiet time" in the afternoon if that happens with my kids. We all need a little rest sometimes.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 4:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 and still nap. I have a friend who will not let her kids nap past 2, so I think it depends on the child and the parents as well...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:48 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well my kids are 10, 6 and 4... I need a little time during the day to just have a quiet house... My kids are VERY high energy kids, so for an hour I make them either lay down and read a book or nap... since my 4 yo can't read he usually naps... Am I wrong for that?
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:55 PM on Jun. 7, 2010