Biting her cheek

My 13 month old DD keeps biting the inner corner of her cheek. The part at the corner of her mouth on the inside. She keeps doing it over and over on purpose and then it will hurt and she will cry. She just made herself bleed! How can i get her to stop??

SoniaL

Asked by SoniaL at 4:01 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No idea..my son and I both bite the inside of our cheek.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:02 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I remember even in highschool before I got my wisdom teeth out that I would bite my cheek by accident all the time, so maybe she really isn't doing it on purpose.
    If it's not by accident, she'll have to learn that it's not a good idea and stop on her own. She probably has some teething pain, or is getting used to new molars though and will outgrow it.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she's eating too fast because she's hungry. Feed her healthy snacks in between meals so she doesn't eat as fast when it's just meal time & she's very very hungry.
    Anonymous

• She isn't even eating when she is doing it. I have done it on accident and then done it over and over because it was swollen and kept catching it. But she is like sitting there pulling her cheek in with her mouth biting down and standing there holding it in her teeth. ouch! She is teething on that side though.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• It's one of those things where if you ust say, "ow, that hurts, doesn't it? don't do that." she might stop sooner. If you make a big deal out of it, she might do it more for your attention. Try giving her frozen berries or peas to chew on (wrap them in a washcloth or put them in a mesh feeder if you think she won't chew them well enough). Teething sucks, I'm sorry.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I still do that. I have actually done it so much on my left side that my cheek is thinner then on the right. Its just a habit I dont know how to stop I have done it since I was little
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 4:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Give her a cold teether to chew on if she's teething. That's what it is, she's teething.
    Anonymous