The Jewish belief

Ok so I am reading once again, as I always do :) and I am interested in learning more about the Jewish belief as this is, if I am not correct, the begining of the Christian bible (OT) or at least what they consider to be. Now, my question is this, for what reason does the Jewish reject Jesus as the messiah? I have found interesting things myself and believe he was not the messiah but a good prophet but of course that is my feel.

WonderWoman1979

Asked by WonderWoman1979 at 4:32 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are asking a complicated question.

Get this book from your local library: http://www.amazon.com/Why-Jews-Rejected-Jesus-Turning/dp/0385510217

Answer by rkoloms at 4:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• thank you sweetie. Much appreciated :) I know it will be a lot easier to read on then on the internet haha
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Judaism 101 is a very good site to use to learn more about Judaism. This is from Judaism 101 site regarding Jesus "The first thing you need to understand is, we do not believe in the Christian "New Testament." It's not part of our Bible. Many Christians find this confusing: how can you accept one part of a book without accepting another part of the book. But the Bible is not one book; it's a collection of books. Jews, Catholics, Protestants and Mormons each have their own idea of what books belong in that collection. You wouldn't accept another religion's idea of what belongs in your Bible, so you shouldn't expect Jews to accept your idea of what belongs in our Bible. But assuming for the sake of this discussion that the Christian scriptures have some basis in fact: Jews had a rather clearly-formed idea of... MORE ON SITE
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Because if they accept him they would be Christians.

Really, it's that easy. The Jews who DID accept the Jesus was the messiah when on to found the first Christian congregations and churches... They became Christians. However, for those who were alive in that day that didn't believe Jesus was the promised messiah - and I'm sure they each had their own reasons which we can't possibly know - life went on as usual. They didn't change, they raised their kids Jewish and as a result the religion lives today... BUT, I will add that had all the Jews in that day and age accepted Jesus, he wouldn't have been the messiah, because he wouldn't have been killed... So it works both ways - both for and against them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:52 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I understand Sabrina. I get that but again they reject him because from waht I have read, he did not and still has not fulffilled the prophecies and according to some, it is believed that originally there were to be two messiahs
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• thank you everyone for your replies. A huge help. I am goign to get the book or find something on it and read more :0
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• whats your deffinition of chirstian? muslims except christ, but they are not called christian,

And Jesus did not fit the phropecies.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 5:38 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• ok good point Iraqi. I didn't know that at all to be honest. See I learn something knew. The idea of being a "Christian" to me is believing he is the messiah and that he fulffilled the prophecies. May i ask how they believe in Christ and not be called Christians?
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• May i ask how they believe in Christ and not be called Christians?

Muslims do not believe Jesus was the Messiah but rather just another prophet of God much like Noah, Abraham, and other prophets named in the Bible.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• thank you Kristi. That clears it up :) I am loving it. I am learning new things whoo hoo haha
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 7, 2010