How do you teach a 2 1/2 old to read words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We labeled everything in our house: door, wall, etc.

We read to our daughter all the time.

She was reading chapter books at four (with parents who worked full time, out of the house; imagine that!)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• personally I point to the words as I read them. so far my son knows a few words (zoo, elmo, apple, nose) but very random. do things to make connections between the object and the word but make it fun and informal at this point. you have time.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

GREAT IDEAD!
    Anonymous

• All of those ideas...LOL
    Plus, I had a little people book that only showed pictures and everything was labeled. Like, it showed a kitchen and labeled everything in it. Or a grocery store, post office, museum..etc. He enjoyed me pointing and reading. It helped a lot.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:53 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Labeling is great, but I also think it's important to teach the alphabet and the sounds that each letter makes.
    Anonymous

• Read to them every day, as much as they'll let you. And work with them on learning the alphabet and letter sounds.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:13 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I wonder how you get an active toddler to do this then? I read to our son every chance we can but he is so active at 2-1/2 you can't get him to sit for a book unless its bedtime - he knows the abc song but doesn't know they are letters, we have flashcards but he gets bored very fast, even when I try to make them fun or silly.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Most children like being read to. There are children's shows like sesame street that repeat words in a fun way. Children get used to seeing the words and get entertained at the same time. There are see and say toys that are also good since playing helps them to learn too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I would go the phonics route. Learn the alphabet. Then learn the letter sounds. Then start putting words together with the letter and sound.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:21 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• We read lots of books and go through the alphabet. We have letters and numbers hung up in the play room to go through with different animals. Tess is starting to recognize her name spelled out, so we're building on words that start with the letters T, E, and S.

It takes time and patience, but eventually it will all start to click.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:10 AM on Jun. 8, 2010