At what age does a breastfeeding child have to be for you to consider that child to be "extended" breastfeeding?

Dabberdoo

Asked by Dabberdoo at 4:42 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• past a year

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Past the age of three. I think after that it becomes ridiculous.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Because society deems one year as a weaning age. Then, breastfeeding beyond a year is extended. However, most folks stop by 6 months, so, you could probably call anything over that extended. I hope to let mine self wean whenever in the heck they feel like it. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:46 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• I think anything past 2 is unnecessary and therefore "extended."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:47 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• SaraP1989, thanks for your unsolicited opinion, but she didn't ask if you thought it was ridiculous, she asked what qualified as "extended"

The World Health Organization emphasizes the importance of nursing up to two years of age or beyond (WHO 1993, WHO 2002). I believe after the first 2 years, it's considered extended nursing.
    Anonymous

• After 2 years.....and count me in on as of the ridiculous as my 3 year old still nurses, GASP!
    Anonymous

• After one year.
    Anonymous

• I think our society thinks of anything past 12 months as extended. But if you think of the natural age of weaning as being anywhere from 2.5 to like 6 then I would call anything up to 2.5 FULL TERM BREASTFEEDING for sure.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:22 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• After three a child needs more nutrition than just breast milk.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Oh, I guess I didn't really answer your question though. I wouldn't personally want to go past 2.5 so for me I guess after 3 is extended.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 5:24 PM on Jun. 7, 2010