Do you let their kids make their own decisions or do you push them to do what you want them to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jun. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I try to let them make their own decisions most of the time. I don't give them an option if it's something that they are too young to decide. With my toddler I always try to give him a choice between 2 things so he feels like he is still being independent. What he wants to wear, what movie to watch, or what kind of snack he would like to have.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Well right now I convince him to do what I want him to do...But of course hes only 18 months :)
    Anonymous

• I let mine decide some things, I coerce him into other things(but make him feel he chose it), or I flat out tell him what he is gonna do. Just depends on what it is.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• That is a broad question. It really depends on what it is. We try to teach our kids how to make the right decisions. Ultimately we leave a lot up to them. But i have a 13 yr old and stupidity runs rampant in middle school. So we have rules on a lot of stuff. But i don't consider that pushing her to do what we want.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 5:00 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My children just about always make their own choices. I see no reason why a parent should ever make choices about the little things. Our job is to train them to make the right choices when it comes to real life issues, and if we don't train them early to make choices on their own and live with the consequences they will never learn that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:25 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• My kids are six and under... Generally, I let them make their own choices but try to steer them in the right direction. Sometimes I have to put my foot down.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 5:49 PM on Jun. 7, 2010

• Totally depends on the situation. If we're in the donut shop he makes the decision about what to order. If we need groceries and he wants to go to the playground I lay down the law.

For the big stuff, I intend to be there and help him think things through. Choosing subjects in school or choosing which college to apply to fall under that category. I'm not going to tell him he must go to medical school or be a pro football player but if he expresses an interest in either goal then I'll help him figure out if it's what he really wants and how to work towards it if it is. Of course I'd be happier with the dr plan but I'll try not to let that influence me too much ;-)
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:03 PM on Jun. 7, 2010